View Full Version : Ganes Creek Week 2

Steve Herschbach
06-17-2012, 08:21 AM
On the plane ready to take off for McGrath!

highbanker58
06-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Good luck Steve, I'll be there in 7 days. I hear Mike isn't flying us from McGrath to Ganes this year. How was the flight from McGrath, are they still using that small Cessna? Dave

Jonathan Porter
06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Have a great trip Steve :-) Hopefully it will be more productive than your trip to West Aussie land last year.

JP

Steve Herschbach
06-18-2012, 07:47 AM
We flew with Tanana Air in Mikes old 207.

Nice day, nice start. 34 nuggets and 2.98 oz total found in first afternoon. Nearly everyone has gold already! Weather is perfect, bugs are few. A very good start indeed. Dan is bulldozing for first full day right now.

Good to hear from you JP. I am off to a good start myself with eight nuggets, but all are small so 1/4 oz total. We will see what the day brings but right now conditions are perfect for a great day of hunting. I hope to report in each morning with the previous days report so stay tuned.

aupangary
06-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Hey Steve, thanks for the up date. Just wondering what detector you found yours with and what kind most are using in your group. Good luck to all of you and thanks for the up dates. Gary, Oklahoma City

Steve Herschbach
06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
I am using a Fisher F75 Special Edition. Most seen machines at Ganes this summer are White's MXT and Minelab X-Terra 705. There were several Garrett AT Pro and AT Golds here last week.

But I must emphasize once again that any good detector can do well at Ganes. Single frequency units running 12 kHz to 71 kHz have found the vast bulk of the gold at Ganes Crrek. Operator expertise is and will continue to be more important that what particular detector is used.

highbanker58
06-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Steve- Thanks for the updates,glad to hear everyone had nuggets,that always takes the pressure off Doug. Dave

Steve Herschbach
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Well not everyone unfortunately but most everyone.

Monday had a lot of ground dozed but almost no gold. I got a half ouncer and a couple other guys got tiny bits.

Tuesday lunch now, Larry got a 2 oz nugget this morning, I got a .3 oz, and a couple other guys got a couple bits. Weather has been fantastic, bugs not bad. Hopefully we see more gold this afternoon.

aupangary
06-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Steve for update. Have they been able to cross Ganes creek yet and go upstream, or is it still too high. Gary

Steve Herschbach
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi Gary,

Mid-day Wednesday, we hunted Carter this morning; Walter got a spectacular 3.5 oz solid gold nugget there. Not much found yesterday afternoon. We head for Spaulding this afternoon. Ganes is down so maybe upper Ganes tomorrow?

aupangary
06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks Steve. Best of luck to all of you and tell all the bunch from Soldatna I said
Hi and good luck. Thanks again, Gary

silver dog doug
06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
And also more productive that your trip to Moore Creek a couple weeks ago.

Steve Herschbach
06-22-2012, 09:35 PM
That was a different deal at Moore Creek. Hunting ground last bulldozed a couple years ago.

Week 2 ends with 17.60 Ozs gold and 75 nuggets compared to 18.45 Ozs gold and 72 nuggets in Week 1. Biggest nuggets 3.42 oz, 2.74 oz, and 1.96 oz. I ended up with most nuggets of week at 19 but largest was only 1/2 oz so ended with right at 2 oz of gold. One of the most pleasant times I have ever had at Ganes. Tomorrow is day between weeks and a couple of us are hiking several miles to upper Ganes for a day of GPX 5000 detecting on the cleaner tailing piles. Should be an interesting day.

kamikaze1a
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Good going Steve. At 2oz you almost out of the "Red"! Go find the BIG one! Good hunting.

aupangary
06-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey, nice going Steve on week two, and of course at Ganes your always just one
nugget away from having 2, 3, 4, or more times that amount. Also wondering how
yesterday ( Saturday ) went. Again, thanks for the updates, and good luck to all
during week 3. Gary- O K C

unreel
06-24-2012, 03:28 PM
hey steve how was upper ganes on sat. just curious john

Steve Herschbach
06-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Ha, it was a ton of work for not much! I got only three nuggets, with total weight of 0.187 oz. Was a good idea but no big nuggets lurking deeper like we were hoping.

Now on to Week 3.

Daffodilly
06-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey Steve, this is such a cool way to know how things are going! Awesome. I can hardly wait to hear what happens next! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find the "BIG ONE" this week. It is really nice of you to take the time to let all of us share in your adventures. Rock on.

Ron Jackson
06-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree with Daffodilly I can't wait to hear the next update. Can the short bus or the truck get across the creek yet? Good luck on finding the next "Ganes nugget".

aupangary
06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
And I agree with Ron! Oh ya Ron, how many updates
did you send out the first week while you were there
this year? L O L. I gaurantee you will get more when
Steve is there then any other time and I can hardly wait
myself. Thanks Steve, and good luck to all.

tvanwho
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I just got Spammed by Doug Clark at Ganes creek @yahoo.com? Tryin to sell me a weight loss potion? Steve, can you let Doug know his computer is spamming people? I doubt he even remembers me from 2005 With Gerry McMullen, much less would intentionally send this SPAM out?

Daffodilly
06-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey Steve, so Daisy and Daffodil are wondering if you are going to post any pictures. If not, they would be happy if you brought home nice gold nuggets that they could sleep with. No pressure, of course. Hope you are having a great time.

unreel
06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
hey steve i also got dougs spam wieghtloss email. let him know . john

Steve Herschbach
06-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Doug knows about spam and says sorry, account got hacked.

Hey Daffodilly, I am slow, nice to see you here, miss the girls and you. Pictures are difficult to deal with so will have to wait for my return to Anchorage.

Daffodilly
06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
No worries. We miss our prospector. Have fun. We are your biggest fans. Rock on, Big Guy. Was hoping you would figure out our cool handle.