View Full Version : Ganes Creek Week 3

Steve Herschbach
06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Week 3 is off to a great start, with three nuggets found today weighing over one ounce. 22 nuggets have been found, with the largest weighing in at 1.87 oz, 1.37 oz, and 1.33 oz. We have 13 people this week instead of the 11 we had last week (we had a no-show). Week 1 also had 13 people. So far 22 nuggets and 5.3 oz total.

I am off to a slow start myself, with only one tiny nugget yesterday, and my eight day streak of gold ending today with my getting skunked. I could have hunted tonight to try and keep the run going but decided to get this posted and turn in early for the evening.

Reno Chris
06-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Steve - you'll make up for that skunk day with a good find before the week is out.

How is Bernie doing?

Steve Herschbach
06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Bernie had a tough week last week but off to a better start this week.

Daffodilly
06-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Hey Steve, how about an update on today's adventure. Dais and Daffers are hoping to read an exciting beeper story. Hope the weather is warm and the mosquitoes are all dead. Miss you

Steve Herschbach
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Nuggets slow to come, got four small ones myself today, other people got a smattering but nothing special. On to bigger and better things tomorrow.

Weather finally turned, kind of drizzly and cold last two days, but bugs still scarce.

moose nugget
06-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Steve what detector are using this week? Sounds as if things are going pretty good- Hows the weather been out there? What seem to be the detector of choice this week? Thanks for the input about not bringing 4 detector out. I'm hand carrying my detectors in my backpack, Penn Air great for loosing or misplacing luggage. To those who might read this posting before going out on week 4 or 5- hand carry your meds--

Steve Herschbach
06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I am using a Fisher F75 Special Edition. The most seen machines at Ganes this summer are the Minelab X-Terra 705 and White's MXT.

But I must emphasize once again that any good detector can do well at Ganes. Single frequency units running 12 kHz to 71 kHz have found the vast bulk of the gold at Ganes Creek. That said one of the biggest nuggets this week was found with a White's V3i, a multi-frequency unit. Operator expertise is and will continue to be more important than what particular detector is used.

It is good to think of Ganes Creek more as a competition hunt than a nugget hunt.

Poured rain this morning but down to just grey and drizzly now.

Steve Herschbach
06-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Tough week. Last morning and we are at 60 nuggets and 11 ounces total. Except for the one burst on Monday, gold has been very slow going. I have about 12.5 pennyweight for the week so far not counting the rest of today. Try as I may, I just can't get over anything of any size, despite finding gold every day but one. I even took yesterday off from the pushes, and hunted with my GPX 5000 all day down in the cobbles and in some old pushes, to no avail. One nugget just over a pennyweight, hunting until 10 pm last night. I was tempted to do it again today but decided to hang with the group and enjoy the last day.

lv2plyguitar
06-29-2012, 08:18 AM
"Operator expertise is and will continue to be more important than what particular detector is used."

What expertise are you speaking of and where do I get this information to better my techniques. According to Minelab a 4500 can easily find gold in factory settings. With a 4500 and the right coil for the area, and patience, what else is their to understand.

Thanks

DavidRamey
06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
The expertise of knowing how to adjust your detector to get the best performance in the ground that you are in. Factory settings may not work the best where you are detecting. Also learning the different sounds your detector makes when the coil is over trash, treasure and trash, or just treasure. It takes between 50 to 100 hours to learn to use your detector to it's best ability. Most people at Ganes are not using PI detectors because of the amount of trash, instead they are using VLF detectors for the better trash discrimination. Also read this http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-guides/steves-guide-metal-detecting-gold-nuggets.htm

Reno Chris
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
lv2plyguitar -

Saying I own a minelab, what else is there to know? It's kind of like saying I own a fishing pole and lures, what else is there to know about fishing? Or perhaps saying, I own a fast car, what else is there to know about auto racing? or even, I own a guitar so what else is there to know about guitar playing?

There are basically two elements critical to finding gold with a metal detector: one is knowing how to operate your metal detector, and the other is knowing how to find near surface gold nuggets that are large enough for your detector to see. Learning to find near surface gold nuggets is the harder of the two. Even at Gaines Creek where they bulldoze areas for you to run your detector through, there are still skills in finding gold. You need to know how to hear faint targets, you need to know how to ignore trash (which is why VLF detectors with accurate discrimination systems are the most popular, and those like the Minelab detectors are more difficult to use in most of the locations at Gaines Creek). When you're not simply given a freshly bulldozed run to prospect, there is quite a skill to finding those places where nuggets hide.

How do you gain this knowledge? Read books on finding and detecting nuggets, and then get out in the field and practice, practice, practice. Kind of like learning to play the guitar - read some books and then practice, practice, practice.

Steve Herschbach
06-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Two words - coil control.

Week 3 ends with about the same number of nuggets as weeks one and two, but lower total weight. 75 nuggets totaling 11.95 ounces.

I hunted hard and got gold every day but one for two weeks, but could not get over larger pieces. I went left when I should have went right. When it comes to getting the big ones the first couple rows you hit often tell the game. 14 nuggets this week got me not quite another ounce of gold, for a two week total of 36 nuggets and 2.86 ounces. I can't help but admit I am shy of where I was hoping to be on gold, but that said had the best two weeks of fun times with good people I could have. Really, really good groups, and the people make the fun. Many thanks as always to the Clark family and crew for a fantastic experience. Pictures in a couple days.