View Full Version : Where is week 5 reports ???

highbanker58
07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Has anyone heard from anyone as to how the last week at Ganes is going? Dave

aupangary
07-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Nothing yet at Ganes web site, so apparently nothing big
so far. Gary, O K C

tvanwho
07-12-2012, 04:22 PM
How do they manage to keep coming up with all this gold even after 8 years? Seems like it would be all worked out by the army of detectorists going there every year? Does it pay to listen for quiet signals now vs big bang type targets?

-Tom V.

TheSeeker
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I think the first year was 2002, but someone can jump in and verify or correct this. The reason that nuggets continue to be found is because they push the top 8 to 12 inches off of some tailing piles with a bulldozer twice each day so that 'fresh' material is exposed to the detectorists. Since most VLF detectors are only reaching down 8 to maybe 18 inches max on even a large nugget-sized object, the deeper nuggets are "safe" until the bulldozing reaches down closer to them. You can use a PI detector and go a bit deeper perhaps,.. But everybody using VLF machines will be running circles around you while you dig up that oil drum or rusted machinery part at 4 feet deep, LOL. The bulldozing also stirs things up a bit, which may make some previously missed nuggets more detectable and certainly makes the digging easier. Quite a service when you think about it, not to mention shuttling everyone in the 'Nugget Express' bus, good food, a shower, and a comfortable cabin waiting for you at the end of a long day of detecting. After a decade of bulldozing for detectorists, it's starting to look pretty flat out there,... more smaller nuggets are now being found, but still an occasional big one turns up!

tvanwho
07-13-2012, 05:03 PM
In 2005, 10 of us had to ride in back of a beat up blue Chevy crew cab pickup truck and hope we didn't fall out as Dave Rankin motored over the rough trails and creeks.
How did Doug get a bus to Ganes, on an airplane?

-Tom

TheSeeker
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
It is a 'short bus' which makes for some sore heads and a number of jokes about detectorist intellect. I think it was a retired surplus local school bus and was driven in from Takotna. The old blue chevy 4x4 is still used to make the creek crossings.

TheSeeker
07-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey All, I just got a relayed second hand report from the Week 5 gang as they passed through Anchorage airport, and it sounds like they had a good week! Unofficial totals were 54 nuggets in all for 19 oz, including a 4 1/2 oz 'er found by Mindy in the push from that 'chute' bank not far from the camp, and a couple other nuggets in the 2 oz range found in the lower cobbles area. Hopefully that strong end to the season will encourage Doug to run the program again next year, if the claims don't sell.

TheSeeker
07-23-2012, 09:15 AM
FYI, The official Ganes Creek Week 5 report is finally posted on their web page with photos,.. Looks like some nice nuggets found in that final week for 2012. Season total found by detectorists was right near 75 troy ounces in 5 weeks.

DJDoc
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Looks like a GREAT summer.. I only hope I can get my deposit in on time for next year when they announce, before they are fully booked again!! (Fingers crossed)