View Full Version : Question for U.P. float copper hunters.

miserybay
07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi,
New to the forum but not to detecting. I am a water hunter but have been wanting to give float copper hunting try. The detector I use is a minelab excal II w/10inch coil on a straight shaft. Now the questions I have are what type of terrain do you look for? I live in Toivola about 20 mins out of Houghton am I in a spot where my chances are high to find copper? I was told by a person a few days ago it's every where. I have no clue :confused: where to begin a little help would be great.
Thank you in advance
miserybay

tvanwho
07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I've always wanted to try copper nugget hunting myself but its a 500 mile drive to UP area from ne Illinois. I was always told to go to the Copper Harbor area where there are many old copper mine tailings. Is that in Michigan or Wisconsin? I would think you might want a land machine vs your water machine but i guess that depends on your budget.I used a Whites MXT with 6x9 coil and a Tesoro Lobo ST with several coils to hunt for Galena nuggets in SW Wisconsin over the years. The MXT will tell you if the target is likely nonferrous by the % iron reading in Prospect Mode. I got several flat copper nuggets in Indiana in an old quarry using the MXT in Prospect mode.Chris Ralph is the MXT expert. He has a webpage on MXT tips. Maybe he will chime in here and help out?

-Tom V.

miserybay
07-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Thank you Tom Copper Harbor is in the up if you look at the map of the U.P. it at the tip.

shaftsinkerawc
07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
What form is your copper float in? I'm in an area with carbonate Cu which I don't think will register on the detector, someone can let us know if it does. I came looking for Nuggets but couldn't get to the area they are in. Good Hunting!!!

miserybay
07-20-2012, 08:48 PM
What form is your copper float in? I'm in an area with carbonate Cu which I don't think will register on the detector, someone can let us know if it does. I came looking for Nuggets but couldn't get to the area they are in. Good Hunting!!!
Some nuggets,boulders and what I would call sheet ??? from what I've seen never found any real float the copper I have found has been from crushed mine rock