View Full Version : Gold Bug 2

Slinx
08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I recently purchased a Gold Bug 2 from AMDS and have taken it several places within a two hour drive of Anchorage. I haven't really found much and was wondering if anyone near this area has any insight for good public huntin grounds? I spent eight hours last Saturday and found four pieces, but it wasn't till the last hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LipCa
08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
that's nugget hunting...... sounds like you are doing ok.

Slinx
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah it was great and really made my day. I would like to find an area with more bedrock exposures or that has bedrock that is not to deep.

Reno Chris
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
That's the whole thing of metal detecting for nuggets. Its not all that impossibly difficult to learn to operate any of the detectors currently on the market. You as the prospector have to gain the skill and knowledge to find places where your detector can be over shallow gold. No detector can find gold that isnt there to begin with.

Second, good PUBLIC hunting grounds is almost an oxymoron. If its good hunting and public, it wont be good for long! With the exception of shallow bedrock along streams that does partly regenerate during flooding, once the gold in most gold placers is gone, it aint gonna grow back! To be sure, there are places to hunt and places to search, but you need to do research and be creative. If you hunt where everyone else does, you are going to find the area has already been pounded.

If you are a new prospector taking up metal detecting for nuggets, seriously, finding 4 pieces in a public area is excellent and shows you are clearly learning to find gold. Now go out and do some research then go out and explore the hills......

Minermike
08-02-2012, 07:57 PM
You should be on top of the world in finding four pieces on the first day. I expect you will have a number of days in the future, that you will find nothing... It is not that easy, otherwise we would all be millionaires .

Slinx
08-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Thank you Chris, that puts a whole different perspective on things. Just for the record I am not wanting anyone's honey hole just a better insight of where there is some bedrock exposures, cause I'm not able to get out except about every other weekend for a day. I'm still learning my detector and am sure I will continue to learn from its use for years to come. I just don't want to cross onto private property, get in trouble, and put a bad name to prospectors.