View Full Version : Chicken Alaska Metal Detecting

1miner
08-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Could anyone tell me if it is worth a trip to Chicken Alaska to metal detect? What is your experience with the owners of the Chicken Gold Camp? Is there a place that is not pay to mine that I could try in Chicken that is accessible by foot or ATV?

Thanks for your help.

Boilerdude
08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Mike & Lou owners Chicken Gold Camp are nice folks. I've been there a number of times. I was up there for a month this spring. They have some good claims, not necessarily for metal detecting though. You might try the public area at Jack Wade creek. Their web site is www.chickengold.com. It has a link to their facebook page. Mike seems to always have something new going on. Good luck, dave

unreel
08-19-2012, 10:00 AM
just came back from up there. detecting there is very slow as gold is fine and wont show up on detector. 3 people tried but nothing but a nail. a couple gold bug 2s and a mxt whites. last nugget found there was in 2008 a 1.4oz. no water in creek to speak of but could still highbank some . tried sluceing but hard to get any water to make it flow and had to go to a ez sluce to make it work. very fine gold with about 2 penneywt for 7 days of digging. lots of digging as overburden kept falling in. but thats mining. hot weather every day and some caribou starting to move around.