View Full Version : gold pan/sluice durability

carter
08-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Anybody have opinion/experience with these? pros/cons... Dont feel im extra hard on any, just between blazer,wheeler rides, and in the creek, i have managed to crack some of them. I heard the edge of one crack falling off a table in wall tent.I havnt used the octagon one in the field yet but it is twice as thick as the others(makes it alot heavier though)
STEVE,
Any manufacturers ask for customer comments or field tests? It seems these blue ones(amds sells) are made out of plastic similar to storage totes you find in the living section of freddies,walmart ect..Not very durable plastic. We all use action packers, they dont crack, more elastic,teflon?16191620

Bob(AK)
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Check out some of the Garrett pans, they are tough

Reno Chris
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I've used plastic pans for 25+ years and have yet to break a single one. All plastic, if left in the sun long eoungh will get brittle (like the old Keene yellow plastic floats). Plastic pans wont stand up to dropping a 200 pound boulder on one or driving over it with your car, but the steel ones wont stand up to everything either. My old steel pan has pinholes through the bottom where the rust has eaten through - so I cant use it anymore. If the plastic wont stand up to the abuse you want to give your pan, get a steel one. They are still available. Just keep it dry all the time (although that's hard to do in Alaska with all the rain, moisture and humidity).

Steve Herschbach
08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
That pan is being made for several companies in different colors and are made in China. I like the design but it does appear to be a more brittle plastic. Bring them by and I will replace for free. AMDS will replace any plastic pan purchased here that breaks free of charge (proof of purchase may be required).

Garrett pans are very tough. I've also never had problems with my Keene Super Pans or Proline pans; although the blue pan in question here is sold by Keene they do not make it.

Last plastic pan I broke was a Keene 17" black plastic pan I "frisbeed" across the creek.

GrizzlyH
08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I've been using the green Garret pans for a few years and haven't broke one yet. They do get scratched up inside tho with use.

carter
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanx Steve, gave me a direction to go. As for Reno Chris, I bet you havnt used one of these pans!! Where they are made says it all. You are a "advanced member" I would expect a reply to get me somewhere instead of irritated. No cars or 200lb. boulders. Ill take constructive remarks just fine. Go get one of these(they have the yellow panning sticker on the back)& take it up sheep hunting for 4-5!

chickenminer
08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Check out some of the Garrett pans, they are tough

Carter....
Because of Bob I bought one of those Garret "super sluice" 15" pans. I must say they are one heck of a heavy plastic pan. My favorite pan these days.

Hate to admit it, but I actually ran over one earlier this summer with my Hitachi 200 excavator. Dang thing never broke or cracked! It was a bit misshappen and scarred
is all. Must be the toughest pan on the market.

AK Nugget
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Have used these for awards and they work good as a GP too, although they're made for food service. Same basic shape as a GP. Although I'm no expert panner the hammered finish doesn't seem to make much of a difference and they're Stainless to boot. Available in 3 sizes, 8.5", 12" & 16", the 16" runs approx. $70 not cheap but tough and not as apt to rust.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/american-metalcraft/hmrd16/p516573.aspx

Neal

Fxds97
08-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Now thats a nice "bling" pan. I love stainless... I prefer to have all of my "boomsticks" to start at stainless, then we get to caliber. I am bookmarking that page and getting me one!

Dreamer
08-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Dang,

This is the only pan I have ever used...they sure have changed.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9310/p1030272redneckgold.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/p1030272redneckgold.jpg/)

Reno Chris
08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Carter -
Sorry if you were irritated - I did not intend any irritation in my comments.
I actually do have one of the versions of this pan which was made for, as Steve said, "several companies in different colors" - Mine is black and was made for Estwing. I've not had any problems with it. When I bought mine I looked at the Keene and the Estwing and decided I preferred black over blue.
My constructive comment is as before: if you want a pan that really stands up to a lot of abuse, get a metal one.
I actually have dropped a 200 pound boulder on my metal pan, and it was dented but still perfectly usable. No plastic pan could have handled that. Yes they are heavier, but when you have a pan with 20 pounds of concentrates in it, the extra pound of steel really isn't that much additional weight.

lv2plyguitar
08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Anybody have opinion/experience with these? pros/cons... Dont feel im extra hard on any, just between blazer,wheeler rides, and in the creek, i have managed to crack some of them. I heard the edge of one crack falling off a table in wall tent.I havnt used the octagon one in the field yet but it is twice as thick as the others(makes it alot heavier though)
STEVE,
Any manufacturers ask for customer comments or field tests? It seems these blue ones(amds sells) are made out of plastic similar to storage totes you find in the living section of freddies,walmart ect..Not very durable plastic. We all use action packers, they dont crack, more elastic,teflon?16191620

The best pan I have used is the Garrett green pans. For some reason the black sands moves away from the gold with little effort. The black pans (cant remember the brand) seem to hold the black sand next to the gold. I will never go back to the black pans but will always use the green Garrett because it has been proven to me in the field.

Sluicerjack
08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
i use the black pans, dont know who the maker is, just bought em cause they were cheap, feels good in my hands and they work. but after this summer i saw the green garretts up close and personal, they do work great but they are slightly larger in my hand. also as you say guitar, the black sands do move away, or the gold sticks together or in the corner alot better. on a side note, i dont think chris was baggin on ya carter, not his MO.

jack

carter
08-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanx Chris, i appreciate your reply. Im sure ill pick up tricks from you on here in the future. I do get a short fuse sometimes & just look some of it negativly.