View Full Version : "GOLD RUSH" Opinions

thegoldgopher
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Having watched the first episode of Gold Rush last night, and the behind the scenes out-takes, I was disappointed.

The guys got paid $8k for about 5 months work, that comes down to about $64 a day working 5 days a week. And Pa says they can take the money and go home and pay their bills. They must get a hefty chunk for being small TV stars, as I can go through $8,000 in a week.

The whole concept is ludicrous. Todd off to Guayana, and upon getting there, discovers someone already owns the land. So, they take off into the jungle, duffle bag of cash in hand, all BRAND NEW gear, brand names prominently displayed.

Don't know about you, but I'm bored with this unrealistic program. Todd says if he doesn't get 1,000 oz. this year, he will end the show. Good. Maybe he's sitting on it, or already has most of it secreted, and will miraculously pull out one mondo cleanout in the season finale.

Just wanted to hear what you had to say. I am looking forward to the new diving portion in Bering Sea, as that is a bit more realistic.

Steve

carter
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I agree with you on the realistic side of these shows(i mean how life really goes & then the reality shows).Ive watched all of them and do enjoy. They came here about a show on the local EMT(medical) and first question was "any drama going on?)They could do a show on my setup but i would have to do some stupid stuff do keep you interested for a season.I actually got a offer to go to s.america dredging next summer, but thatrs another thread!!

underAKskies
08-22-2012, 04:41 PM
I was filmed for a new reality show about guns about a month ago. The episode I was in had these two young kids that work at the gun store coming out to the "bush" to trade gold for fixing our stash of guns. It was so fake and staged that it was almost surreal. Even the gold that I was trading the girl to fix my guns was fake. And they said we were supposed to be waaaaay out in the bush, but we were in eagle river! There were supposedly six people at our "gold camp". All it consisted of was a two man tent me, another guy and his dog, my sluice box and about 18 rifles and handguns laying out on the beach.

I have some funny pictures if anyone was interested in seeing them.

Reality tv is not reality.

geowizard
08-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Having worked in Central America and South America, I can say that everything that US citizens do there is monitored by the US State Department (DOS). When you arrive, you check in with the US Consulate. The Consulate asks where you are going, what is the nature of your business and when you plan on departing. They also require attendance at a short security, customs and courtesies briefing.

Other, third world countries do not have the level of organization we enjoy in the US. The police force if any, is minimal and in often cases, on the take. Unfortunately, many officials are in positions that afford themselves extra income from "side pay".

In the jungle of any of the countries in Central and South America, it is as wild as it gets. You don't sleep at night out in a hammock. There are Jaguars and Panthers (even during the day) that will do what big cats do.

Anyway, there is more to going to any of these other countries for more than a short tourism experience than meets the eye. Because international business relations are affected by anyone doing business in other countries, there are controls, monitoring, and lots of documentation before you walk in and negotiate with officials in those countries. Extortion is commonplace and expected, for example. How do you handle the situation where a corrupt official extorts money or payola for his signature, etc.?

- Geowizard

geowizard
08-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Speaking to the potential for corruption in Guyana:

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2012/business/business-editorials/08/03/the-brewing-confrontation-in-the-mining-sector/

- Geowizard

thegoldgopher
08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
The last blurb I saw on the program was something like, "Almost ALL of the equipment taken on this trip was left in Guayana." I bet that was arranged in advance. In countries like that, you could be operating one day, and they couldn't find one of your bones the next, and someone else running your operation. Does Jim Jones ring any bells? I think to even consider going into a place like that stinks of a Hollywood producer, and not any level headed investor or adventure seeker. I think Todd is now seeking to satisfy the ratings, and not operating on sound business principles. They could get rid of your bones at the weekly barbecue, and no one would be the wiser, and they could get paid a couple of bucks for the "long pig." For Todd, maybe a fiver.