View Full Version : Monitor On-Demand Hot Water Heater

Steve Herschbach
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi,

Here is a picture of the Monitor on-demand hot water heater installed at the mine at Moore Creek. The unit is resting on a counter and there is a hole we cut in the counter just a bit smaller than the unit. The plumbing is all hooked up under the counter and so out of sight.

http://www.akmining.com/images/forum/mwh180.jpg

The water first enters a ProPlumber Sediment Filter that has a 100 mesh filter that you can check visually and drain. The creek generally flows clear but at high water this would capture larger sediment. Then into a nice little combo water pump and pressure tank I got at Lowe's (second picture). After the pump we split the line. One leg goes into the blue filter at 5 microns - again, just as a sort of pre-filter.

The main filter unit is the Model 500 "Water Fixer" which has a activated carbon cartridge that removes particles down to a half micron. This stops almost anything, including guardia (beaver fever). The pre-filtering keeps this from clogging up too fast. The ultraviolet chamber is really the icing on the cake, as on the off chance anything got though the filter, the ultraviolet gets it. Great units in my opinion. You can find them online at http://www.waterfixercompany.com/.

The other leg split yet again, one half being cold water, and the other half routing into the cabin and into the hot water heater.

http://www.akmining.com/images/forum/tank.jpg

Monitor makes a variation designed to be mounted on the outside of the cabin but I opted for the interior mount to protect the unit from weather and bears. Mounting it was simple - the only real work was cutting the hole through the log cabin wall with a chainsaw for the exhaust. Like other Monitor heaters the exhaust also acts as the air intake.

The hot and cold water lines were then routed to an outdoor wash station (a cheap portable sink) and a washing machine (third picture). We built an 8' x 4' shower shed (barely visible on right of picture) and installed a cheap pre-fab shower enclosure and hooked it into the system. Finally, we buried some lines and ran the drinking water and a hot water line to the sink there. You can also see the propane bottle for the water heater.

http://www.akmining.com/images/forum/system.jpg

The whole system is powered by a Honda EU6500 generator. What a difference this all made to life out at the mine. The system is on demand, so just get in the shower and turn it on - just like at home. The best part is that we had as many as 20 people in camp. You could have people taking one shower after another, ten in a row, and never run out of hot water. Due to the pump the water pressure and flow were just as good as at my house in Anchorage.

The only thing I can warn people about is to make sure you have enough water pressure for the system. We ran the unit the first summer off a 12V pump system that did not really provide enough pressure to trigger the on-demand system properly and as the system surged the heater would shut off at times. The new pump solved that and the system ran flawlessly ever since. If you have any debris in the water a drainable pre-filter like you see in the picture attached to the pump is a good idea.

The water temperature is adjustable. Hotter water slightly reduces the water flow. It is possible to set the unit up for a shower with just one water line by setting the water temp to what you like so no cold water is needed at all. Depending on where the heater is mounted an optional remote temperature control is available that can be mounted right next to the shower.

I can't say enough about what a difference it made having hot running water at the mine. Just a great little product. Click here for product details (http://www.akmining.com/heat/monitor_mwh180_hot_water_heater.htm).

Jim Hemmingway
02-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Excellent write-up of your system Steve. I can really appreciate the system you put in place there, and the impact to your overall well-being. A place where I often stay, has no showers or water of any kind available after October 10th or so. It's down to the lake with the buckets, heat up some water at night and fill the plastic portable shower nailed up high to the tree nearest your fireplace. Build a big fire, dash out in sub-freezing weather, and enjoy the comforts of home. As long as that shower water is hot, you don't mind the cold air one bit!

The photos are perfect, the reader can follow along with each step of your system description. You seem to have thought of
everything, although I was wondering just what type of water filter media was used and how long it lasted. Thanks for an informative tour of your water facilities at the mine. An enjoyable read.

Jim.

Muley
02-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Steve can you tell us more about the UV filter? I'm thinking about adding one too my home for added protection.

Steve Herschbach
02-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Steve can you tell us more about the UV filter? I'm thinking about adding one too my home for added protection.

I'll find the owner manual for the system on Monday and report back. The system was great and because we had so many people at the mine it helped allay worries some people might have had about drinking creek water.

Steve Herschbach
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys,

OK, the water first enters a ProPlumber Sediment Filter that has a 100 mesh filter that you can check visually and drain. The creek generally flows clear but at high water this would capture larger sediment. Then into the blue filter at 5 microns - again, just as a sort of pre-filter.

The main unit is the Model 500 "Water Fixer" which has a activated carbon cartridge that removes particles down to a half micron. This stops almost anything, including guardia (beaver fever). The pre-filtering keeps this from clogging up too fast. The ultraviolet chamber is really the icing on the cake, as on the off chance anything got though the filter, the ultraviolet gets it.

What I ended up with more or less duplicated the Model 1000 Water Fixer which has two filters on it. If I did it over again that is the one I'd get. I saved some money getting my own 5 micron filter but probably lost as much setting it up.

Anyway, great units in my opinion. You can find them online at http://www.waterfixercompany.com/

I've now incorporated this into the main text above so it may seem to later readers I'm repeating myself here.

CHEECHAKO
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Perhaps this will help.

Chris Mitchell 317-3588

Brian Berkhahn
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey Steve,
Can you tell me more about the pump you have/had on your system, I know you told me before but I forget.

Thanks,
Brian

Willis123
08-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi,
This is an excellent information on purifying water. This is so nice and I'll start making this.
Thanks for posting.