View Full Version : Bering Sea Gold - Opinions

thegoldgopher
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I was disappointed in the initial episode. I was a commercial diver in the Gulf of Mexico for six years, so have a little bit of experience in this realm. No, actually a lot.

It was amazing to see Sean Palmrenke back after such a glorious season, but with a ragtag operation, and not with the tried and true method that made fools of everyone last year. The results said it all. He racked up some bills during the off time, if the news has any credibility.

Zeke and Steve and femme fatale had not changed a day since the last episode. Their family reunions must be a hoot. Maybe Zeke's 911 to friends will bring in a little sanity and cohesiveness. Steve is about as loose a cannon as you'd want in a powder shop. What was Zeke thinking?

I love the new Lazy Gator crew. At least they are taking a heads on approach, never mind they left a diver in the water and no one at the radio. Had I done that in my day, the punishment was six weeks in a crab pot with no air line. But the payday was sweet for them, and I think they will be the wild card this season.

I keep this right up there with Wrestling and soap operas (replacing Desperate Housewives now that they're gone) on my Dish favorites list. And I watch it with all the credibility of wrestling and daytime soap operas. But every once in a while I do get a glimpse of something, and learn something.

I still have a dream of going up there with a new device, and revolutionizing the dredgers. It's in the works. We'll see. In the meantime, I guess it was what it was intended to be ....... entertainment.

But if someone held a gun to my head, I could not tell you ONE of the sponsors of the show. Is that attention deficit disorder or just bad advertising?

Steve

AK_Au_diver
09-02-2012, 09:50 AM
The Gator crew was up and running a month before the others showed up. That first cleanup showed was from the first month of operations for the Gators. The only reason Zeke and Shawn went out on the ice was because the TV show paid them to.

Shawn destroyed the floats on his 8" dredge dragging it across the pavement and ice. And what is with that oversized engine to run an 8" dredge, anything over 46hp is excessive for a dredge that size.

carter
09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
The Gator crew was up and running a month before the others showed up. That first cleanup showed was from the first month of operations for the Gators. The only reason Zeke and Shawn went out on the ice was because the TV show paid them to.

Shawn destroyed the floats on his 8" dredge dragging it across the pavement and ice. And what is with that oversized engine to run an 8" dredge, anything over 46hp is excessive for a dredge that size.

You must have some inside info! What else are you gonna do in the winter in Nome? Lets see here, 17.5 ounces in 1 month, 17.5 x $1600/ounce =$28,000 - 25% deductions = $7000 = $21,000 takehome. $21,000 / 4 guys = $5250 ea. / 4 weeks = $1312 / week ea. They all are in some gold and maybe alot. We all dream of whats under that next rock dredging! Worst part of these shows are the dang commercials!! Try watching these shows with family and have the posti-vac , erectile dysfunction garbage come on!! I took my annual MSHA class this summer and they were up in Nome when the ice dredging was happening, wonder if dredgers got any fines?

AK_Au_diver
09-03-2012, 06:46 AM
They tried to get me to be on the show, and I was here while they filmed most of it. So yeah, I have a little info. I guess I shouldn't spoil the fun of people that want to watch that for entertainment. But for those that are watching this show as part of their "fact-finding" research, I feel a sense of duty to shed some light on the issue.

Kevin did a good right up of expenses and revenue for his ice dredging the year before, I believe it's posted under the name keviluvu

Your arithmetic is correct, but your assumptions are not complete. Let us assume that it was 17.5ozt for 1month with gold at $1600/ozt fine.

17.5ozt raw times 84% net smelter return times $1600 = $23,520

Minus leaseholder royalty of zero, since they were on the Rec area. Minus state mining license tax of 3%. Minus state mining production royalty of 3%. = $22,108

Now we get into operational expenses. Minus $15/hour for fuel to run the dredge, water heater, and amortize support equipment such as vehicles, generators, etc. Lets guess that to be $1500. Other operational expenses and repairs let's low-ball at $500 for that month. =20,108

Now let's get into overhead. Let us assume that they already had all the vehicles and dredging equipment, so we ignore that $40,000 of expenses. They live in Nome year round, so no housing or travel expenses, so we ignore that. Let's assume that they only bought the extra things needed to add ice dredging to a summer operation, so auger, lumber, insulation, auxiliary water heater, a few other items. Again let's low-ball that at $3000. So we are left with $17000.

Now let's split up the gold. Assuming there were only 4 people, $17000/4 = $4250 for the month. Still pretty good, that is about $12/hour.

Of course they were the first on the scene to the rec area after the epic storm of Fall 2011. Somehow they managed to find a hot spot, probably because sand moved off it in the storm.

carter
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Ah, come on!! Your ruining the sense of adventure & prosperity with all this logic. I agree with ya, the show made you think it was a one week cleanup.

Got the Bug
09-03-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm onboard with Carter, U guy's really didn't think they would be up front on anything ? Did Ya ??????????????

thegoldgopher
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM

I'm with you. An excessive sized suction, yet a wimpy hot water supply.......

Seems like there would be some balance somewhere ............

carter
09-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Some truth, more entertainment(drama),wonder how many people are gonna show up next winter? The ice must flatten out the water, as the water depth gets shallower id think the currents out farther would magnify inland. Seems that would be the most dangerous issues?

Sobie2
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't care, I love all of the mining shows. It is some of the most worthwhile tv, compared to what else is on. I wonder if Sean Palmrenke's pump was the exact same pump from Todd Hoffman's operation (it was the same brand a green Pioneer pump).

I live in Juneau, and there is a fair amount of gold to be found around here, but it is all really small stuff. It got my 5 year old son interested in hitting the streams, and man that is a lot of fun taking him out to pan and sluice.

The way I see it is these shows are really just "Man Soap Operas." No different than Deadliest Catch. An additional show I have seen is Diamond Divers, it is only about 6 episodes. I found it on the on demand Amazon.com channel (forget the network).

In the words of the great Mr. T, when it comes to the guy who sells everything to head north to mine for gold, "I pity the fool"

Sobie2

geowizard
09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Ak_au_diver,

You have dialed in the cost factors very well.

I would add... The cost of insurance. Ever try to buy insurance for a mining operation? No investor will buy into a mining operation without it. Who is liable? Who pays for a studio camera that slips off the deck? Production companies buy their own insurance policies. What is covered? Who is covered for how much? Who isn't covered?

- Geowizard