View Full Version : Mask vs: helmets

thegoldgopher
09-01-2012, 06:48 PM
In watching the underwater TV shows, I have yet to see very many diving helmets. I did see one Russian one. Are they just used on the larger dredge operations? Is there an advantage to the smaller, lighter masks on the smaller operations, other than cost? I would think that a good Kirby dive helmet with a good dry suit would be a nice warm setup, but I am seeing a lot of very diversified equipment. Do these guys just not have the $$$ to buy the higher quality gear? Is there some advantage to the performance of the masks, as they don't freeze up as much? I hear a lot of times that they are having problems with their air supplies freezing up. Again, is that something that is just common to the cold, or could additional/better equipment solve that?

Steve Herschbach
09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Helmets require far more air, therefore larger compressor system, therefore more money.

thegoldgopher
09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Thank you. In commercial diving, we used nothing but helmets. It would seem that for comfort, less heat loss, and a couple of other things, helmets would be advantageous. But, with the smaller operators, I can see the need for smaller demand systems. Ours had to power decompression chambers, too. Do the helmets with external regulators have the freezing problems that the masks have, and is there any way of heating the air to alleviate the freezing problem?

AK_Au_diver
09-03-2012, 07:17 AM
The simplest way to get around the freezing issue is to heat the regulator. This is pretty simple to do. We tee-ed off our diver hot water and ran a small hose up to the regulator, then wrapped that in something loose to keep in the warm water nearby.

The other trick is to dry the air. Zekes problem, as portrayed on the show, was that he was sucking in warm humid air from inside his ice hut, and using a plastic air reserve tank, and not doing a couple other tricks (but I can't give away all my secrets).

thegoldgopher
09-03-2012, 01:24 PM
The simplest way to get around the freezing issue is to heat the regulator. This is pretty simple to do. We tee-ed off our diver hot water and ran a small hose up to the regulator, then wrapped that in something loose to keep in the warm water nearby.

The other trick is to dry the air. Zekes problem, as portrayed on the show, was that he was sucking in warm humid air from inside his ice hut, and using a plastic air reserve tank, and not doing a couple other tricks (but I can't give away all my secrets).

I see in the yurt, with Zeke, Steve, and Emily, that there is an incredible amount of frozen breath given off just into the interior of the yurt. That has to magnify when concentrated in the small orfices of a regulator.

I am a pro from another time. Waaaaay back. But it seems like the current crowd would find these problems out, and solve them, and give them the golden nugget they all seek ............ bottom time.

When I saw Zeke pasting that plastic bladder on the wall, and hooking it up with some wimpy connector, I said to myself, "Self, there's a problem in the wind." Sure nuff.

Where can one apply to be a consultant, cuz I see lots of problems in things people do, and could save them time and money. Gold Rush crew included.

Cancel that. Gold Rush is the network replacement to Desperate Housewives demise.

Never mind.

Steve