View Full Version : Anchorage Detectorist Wants To Ban Metal Detecting

Steve Herschbach
09-04-2012, 06:40 AM
I went to a park to metal detect yesterday and was horrified to see that somebody had been there before me and left obvious digging signs everywhere. Badly cut and replaced chunks of turf, and dirt scattered all over the surface. My quiet outing instead left my blood boiling. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt in that I hope they just do not know what they are doing. But I take it extremely personally as this is what gets detecting banned, plain and simple.

Learn your detector enough to make good choices as to when to even dig. Practice pinpointing with it is a sandy area until you get good. More importantly, in turf, ALWAYS USE A PINPOINTER. Always.

Even if you know what you are doing, dig when there are not other people around. I like to hunt parks on rainy days. Have enough common sense to know that even if it is legal, some places you just do not dig! You do not dig holes in a beautifully manicured area! The person doing the manicuring will surely notice, so at a minimum find out who they are, display your skills, and get permission.

Most places I just use a screwdriver. The only time I make a hole in turf is chasing a deep coin, and I am proud to say you will not know I was there. I either leave no trace or I do not dig. If I can do it, so can anyone else. I hope the offending party reads this and learns as only one assembly member in a bad mood needed to see what I saw and we would be done in Anchorage. I fixed it up as best I could.

Have the proper tools, especially in this persons case a Pinpointer and a Drop Cloth. They obviously could not get the hole on target, and left dirt all over. A Pinpointer and drop cloth would have fixed both problems.

There is an excellent tutorial at http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/how-to.html The only thing I do different is when cutting a plug I make a three sided trap door, leaving one side attached. The key in either case is cut straight down and deep, keeping the entire root structure as intact as possible. Do not scalp the turf. And try to only do any plugging when the ground is moist as a bone dry plug will die very soon. Surface dirt is the biggest problem, so always use a drop cloth. I use a bandana and make sue every bit of dirt goes back in the hole. I tamp it down good, and puff up the grass. You have to know where one of my plugs is to find it. A casual walker will never see one.

Please keep metal detecting legal!

Steve in Idaho
09-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Well said Steve, It only takes a few people to destroy a nice park to get the rest of us and our hobby banded.

Grizzlyadams156
09-05-2012, 04:52 PM
And I'm sure it's a well known fact, but clean up the garbage that's on the surface. It doesn't take much to carry a trash bag with you and clean up as you go. We can improve the landscape too, and save kids from tetanus shots (darn you rusty staples and nails!$