View Full Version : Dowsing, anyone have experiences tonshare......does it work for you?

Jrreyboi
09-08-2012, 05:16 AM
My father-in-law swore by dowsing.....I've messed around with it a bit but thought I'd see if anyone had experiences you want to share? Did I mention my Father in law
died a poor man:confused:

Reno Chris
09-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Father in law died a poor man

As does nearly everyone who claims expertise in dowsing, and the ones who have some money did not get it from dowsing. I've never seen a shred of actual evidence that it works. People dowse for water and claim success, but ground water is nearly everywhere if you drill deep enough, so its hard to miss.

Brian Berkhahn
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I had a couple guys come to my claims claiming to be experts in dowsing so just for sh*ts and grins I let them do their thing. The first guy went through and dowsed a bunch of spots, then a couple days later his brother came through and never hit the same spots. The best one was how excited one of the guys was when he supposidly found a "hot" spot.. his dowsing rods showed it was in his pan and when he panned it, guess what... there was nothing. I call BS on the whole thing.

geowizard
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
There is no evidence that dowsing meets any acceptable scientific criterion. <- period. The National Ground Water Association has made an official statement on the subject. Not that NGWA is the repository of all knowledge, but they certainly get input from all of those that pay money for a service that has no foundation in science.

For those that "believe". This is where we part in our ways of thinking. "Believers" accept things on "faith" alone. In our society, the believers out number those that need to have scientific evidence of dowsing, ghosts, flying saucers, government conspiricy, etc. etc.

If you are a believer, then "all is well". The rods work. You can argue all kinds of belief systems. The foundation of belief systems is they are never provable. The result is by coincidence that water or gold or anything else is discovered.

- Geowizard

rabbit
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Many years ago, in a place far away from where I am now. I was looking for a side sewer in Oakland Ca. It wasn't where we thought it should be. One of our laborers took two coat hangers and located it.
Just twenty years ago in the Seattle area one of the water and sewer districts does locating on thier underground lines with dowsing rods. They are more accurate than the telephone or electrical companies.
I was trying to find a water line at my house that I had installed 15 years ago and wasn't having much luck. A neighbor took his dowsing rods and found it in 5 minutes. So I have seen it work on water and sewer liines But can't swear to anything else.

AND hey! I saw on a TV show Goldfathers, where a team of miners in Alaska no less dowsed for placer gold. :) Now if it was on TV you know it must be true. And it was in ALASKA!!! :)

peluk
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Here's a trickf for you.Take three styro cups and put them in a row on your lawn.Make sure there are no pipes or incoming cables under the area.Keep the cups about 10' apart and have someone place a gold ring or gold item under one of the cups the location of which is unknown to the dowser.

Now the dowser will walk toward each cup individually in a direction perpendicular to the line of cups.Assuming the rods are held properly slightly in front of the body,shoulder width apart and level,the dowser should stand about 15' from the line before walking.

As the dowser approaches the cup line the rods will either swing toward one another or they will both swing toward another cup in the line.If the latter reaction occurs,the dowser can stop and sidestep in the direction to which they point until they straighten out.He should be in line with one of the other cups toward which he would then continue straight ahead until they cross.That will most likely be the cup over the ring.Bet on it...expert or not.

wa-au-nut
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
I was a plumber for 35 years and ALWAYS carried rods in the truck for locateing water lines. It worked for me and saved alot of shovell time. Not saying it works for gold, but it sure as heck works for water line 2' under ground. I also had an idea where they would be by meter box. But they were not always where you think they should be.

Marshall/Ak
09-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Before I retired the boss always picked me, out of the 8 guys in our maintenance division, whenever we had to locate underground cables or pipes on the job. We just used plain bent welding L-rods. And yes, they most often worked, although I sure don't know why. I'm not claiming to be an "expert", just that I have seen them work for myself.
And...I have, in the past, done exactly as Peluk suggested: set up 3 cups on the ground, and have someone put a coin or something valuable under one of them. I was able to find the correct one each time...

Here's a little tip for you guys that want to experiment: don't hold the rods the same distance apart for locating gold as you do for locating water (or anything else)....hold them very close, about 4" apart. For water, hold them about 18" apart. For iron pipes about 6" apart. I don't know why, just that that is what works for me...

Marshall

Steve Herschbach
09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
If dowsing works for you go collect your million dollars http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/

Jrreyboi
09-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Actually my question is a result of trying to get on some bigger gold here in Idaho. I find plenty of color but the gold is so very fine. We've run tons of dirt through the high banker and I'm trying to get out of the 1/2 gram per ton "flood gold" phase. I kept thinking I'd run into larger gold as I prospect different areas but still striking out. My question wrt to dowsing shows the length I'll go to cure 'the fever".

overtheedge
09-12-2012, 08:53 AM
If the gravel is consistent at 60 yards, then you can find spots that will run much better. Forget dowsing. Besides, think about it. How would a person be able to tell the difference between what you already can find and what might be better. Do dowsing rods have some sort of a discriminator?

I've noticed that dowsers always dowse where they already have a good idea where the gold is. Same goes for map dowsing. If it worked, why doesn't it work if the map is covered by a sheet of paper over the map so the dowser can't see the topography?

In my area, most of the gravel is closer to 150-200 ton per ounce or worse. Yet with good sampling, I find small spots that run 20 yards (30-35 tons) to the ounce of fine flood gold. It is location, location, location.

In the time it takes to dowse an area, you can run a bunch of test pans. In the end, the gold in the pan always beats out what dowsing rods might or might not indicate. If you are like many of us, you only have so much time to spend on the river. Panning is reliable. Dowsing isn't. Panning tells the actual tenure of the sampled spot, dowsing doesn't.

The other option is moving more gravel.
eric

Jrreyboi
09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Great post Eric. Share with me a little more insight about your comment...."If the gravel is consistent at 60 yards, then you can find spots that will run much better". We do a lot of test pans and end-up working the area that yields the most. Once there we hammer the area an usually try to process 80-100, 5 gallon buckets @ 40# each for a total close to 2 tons. During the process we are running test pans at various depths to validate the material we are working.

Last weekend I set a secondary sluice up under the high banker in an attempt to retain more of the fine flood gold. I was amazed at how much additional gold we've been flushing out of the end of the high-banker. It goes to show there really is a need to sharpen your processing skills when working with fine gold.

overtheedge
09-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I start another thread and give some thought to it so it sounds logical. Probably not tonight, because I'm pretty tuckered out.
eric

Marshall/Ak
09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Some random thoughts:
I see an over-whelming tendency of "unbelievers" in dowsing to group all forms of so-called "dowsing" under one roof, and to dispel all of them together as "dark age fairy tales". (Like a guy sees a VW Beetle and therefore concludes anything with four wheels cannot possibly haul a grand piano) However, just because one form of dowsing does not work does not mean all of them can't or won't work. For example: directional locators, as seen and advertised in magazines. I have NEVER seen a directional locator of ANY kind work....EVER! Like: put a guy in the middle of a 40-acre field, where a 1oz gold coin has been hidden somewhere. Hand him any "tool" of his choice and tell him "find the compass bearing the treasure is located along". Never seen one work.
Then there is the situation where the compass bearing is a known: for example an underground power cable or water pipe crosses a ditch somewhere along a road. You know it's there, they know it's there, everybody knows it's there...but nobody knows exactly where. That's the only situation I personally can nearly always get to work, IE: when I am over the target the rods WILL cross. Why that works I do not know...if I knew I'd write a book about it...
Map dowsing? Never seen it work...I suspect this is total crap and vivid imagination...
As far as dowsing being useful on, say, a mining claim...a guy would need to have skills in both direction finding and indications when over a target...two factors...not just one. I don't have two...I only seem to have one. Neither have I ever met anyone that could do both. One guy I met could tell the approximate depth of a target.
Ok, so some people don't believe any of this works. It like not believing a bird can fly. Try telling that to the bird...

Marshall

Bill Bohan
09-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Geologist do use a dowsing magnet to determine magnetic/magnetite suseptibility of a rock. It is a dipole magnet on a pivoted holder.
The gravity meter is in essence a dowsing rod.

geowizard
09-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Gravity and magnetics are two different things. They are measurable and irrefutable.

Dowsing is a third. Dowsing is not measurable. It is often refuted. Read Steve's post - above. :)

- Geowizard

Dreamer
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I worked on two different crews when I was young and both crew leaders believed in dowsing. One business was laying 600 pair telephone cable and the other was a road construction crew. Seem to work like a charm. I can also remember city utility workers using them in several different towns i've lived in. I've even used them myself to find a water line. I use coat hangers with 2 straws so my grip didn't affect the swing. I know it sounds crazy but sometimes things are not explainable.

But will they find gold? I don't know about that...

Dreamer

tenderfootminer
09-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I never got into the dowsing discussions before,I was a nonbeliever.That said a guy showed me how it is done this summer at the mine and ,I can find buried wires and any metal object thats not buried to deep right away.........hmmmm not sure why or how it works but I must say I do believe it now:confused:

Walt_Anchorage
09-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I think to find gold you have to use solid gold dowsing rods.

DavidRamey
09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Those would be heavy

thegoldgopher
09-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I never got into the dowsing discussions before,I was a nonbeliever.That said a guy showed me how it is done this summer at the mine and ,I can find buried wires and any metal object thats not buried to deep right away.........hmmmm not sure why or how it works but I must say I do believe it now:confused: I have used simple baling wires to find water lines, and all sorts of things. And when I was looking for the lines, I dug up tin cans, coins, and other metal objects. As with others here, I'm not sure how it would work in locating gold, but for lots of metal things, it does work.