View Full Version : question

simkiss2001
09-13-2012, 12:27 AM
why would old time miners build there homestead with the front door facing the mountain and not the creek ?

Dreamer
09-13-2012, 01:20 AM
My guess would be to help block the cold air from rushing in everytime they opened the front door.

Steve Herschbach
09-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Maybe the creek has nothing to do with it. Maybe they wanted the sun in the back yard or front yard in the morning or the evening.

POLEKAAT
09-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Maybe it was for safety. If the creek had a flash flood then they could exit the cabin on the high side instead of into deeper water.

Trevor

Brian Berkhahn
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Maybe for the same reason I have my camp set up towards the mountain and not towards the creek.. not only the view but also the sun comes up over the mountain and shines right in which warms my place up.

Bill Bohan
09-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Mine was built facing west towards the creek and built in tall trees.
Then I cleared ground around the cabin. Now i wish it was facing East or South southeast to greet the morning sun and shine more lite into the cabin. My first cabin is windowless to prevent bear access.

simkiss2001
09-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Can it be maybe the creek changed . As in they built the cabins facing the creek then over time the creek moved behind them ?

Lurch
09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I would guess the creek had little to do with it. I've always been told, by people that have homesteaded for 60+ years, you face the cabin doors and windows south and put the wood stove near the cold north wall.

thegoldgopher
09-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Native Americans like the entry to the east. A lot of cabins and tumble down buildings I have found in the west were oriented so that trash could be thrown out, and it would go down a hill. Whenever I camp, I like to orient the door to the east, to take advantage of morning sun and afternoon shade. When asked, I just say an old Indian told me to do it that way.

Jeff
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM
If you were shoveling a s**t pile all day, would you want to sit around and look at it in your off-time? Who knows...I like to admire my work and ponder the next move. How far away from the river and how high up are the cabins. Do they catch the evening sun? Maybe they wanted the last light in the evening.

Bill Bohan
10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
There are a couple of variances of cabins to consider. This is not an off topic for the alaskan prospector as "ruins" and old cabin foundations are indicators of an established dwelling. An established dwelling indicates a purpose for staying.
The purpose for the old timer to stay would be due to the proximity of food and water and/fuel or the proximity of a mineral deposit . There has to be a reason for an extended stay.
1. Cabins are dwellings or
2. Cabins are housing for shafts or built proximal to shafts.
3. Cabins were built as a temorary "Shuttle" Dwelling to transport cargo every 8-6 miles by a 4 dog and two man team. Trappers also build shuttle cabins.
4. The native dwellings up here in Alaska were more of an earthened hogan, and were built proximal to hunting choke points......or possibly near natural mineral licks.

geowizard
10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I looked up the answer on eHow.com... :)

"Notice if there is a direction that wind normally comes from. If so, build so that the back of the log cabin is facing the wind head on, and the wall that will contain the front door is facing the opposite direction."

Read more: How to Construct a Log Cabin | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2049183_build-log-cabin.html#ixzz2AMnVNrpW

- Geowizard

Bill Bohan
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Prospecting strategy would have it when finding the old tymer's cabin or foundation to check around for his rock garden. It will be somewhere between the door and the camp fire pit . The rock circled fire pit and the garden will most likely consist of rocks which the miner might think of load potential.

digger68
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
" Build so that the back of the log cabin is facing the wind head on, and the wall that will contain the front door is facing the opposite direction".

That is a good way to get your front door drifted in. The snow will drift up in the dead air space on the downwind side of a structure. I live in a very windy pass here in ALaska and my front door faces north towards the wind and the back door is on the south. When the snow is blowing the back door that is sheltered is the one that drifts in. I have had large amounts of snow that needed shoveled before the door was useable. The front door facing the wind head on is always blown free of snow. Usually down to gravel.

geowizard
10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
digger,

You can have YOUR door facing into the wind, then. :)

Having lived in North Pole, in the winter, the heat was literally sucked out the door either way. I built a mud-room that worked like an intermediate room where you could close the outside entry before opening the door that entered into the house.

- Geowizard

digger68
10-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Geo, in ALaska that would be a Arctic Entryway. Mudrooms are for those living in the lower 48. LOL.

fineswme
10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't matter what direction the Arctic entry faces in North Pole or Fairbanks ; There is no wind there in the winter ....