View Full Version : $500 +- Concentrator for Platinum Ore + Rock Crusher

coloradonuggets
09-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi All,

I am working on a platinum project; currently about to embark on the pilot phase of the project. I have a nice customized Angus Mackirk re-circulating sluice for primary concentration of the ore. But need a secondary concentration method - without spend a lot for a shaker/wave table.

Would like to crush/concentrate and create dori (or possible skip the dory step and use acid wash to remove the base metals). Then follow Amen on Platinum's wet methods. Please feel free to comment on this too. I am inexperience in hard rock - but have loads of success detecting for gold in the Colorado mountains....

I need two additional pieces of equipment right now.

1 ) A secondary concentrator

For the secondary concentrator I have a blue bowl. The platinum particles are very small - sub 150 mesh. I am thinking that there could be better products for success. I am considering the gold cube or the Keene - Super Concentrator or maybe make a Miller table or plain just keep the blue bowl. but at this point; I want to just prove the extraction.

2) A rock crusher.

I am looking at the G-Force Rock Crusher by Keene. A more expensive option would the Gold-mill - GS-4000HD crusher - but the price of $4700 seems high until i know that the assays mean something in real terms.

Can anyone make recommendations.

geowizard
09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
coloradonuggets,

I think I can save you some money here. :)

The first question I have is; "Have you confirmed the assays?" In your last sentence, you mentioned the word "assays". Have you read the BLM report on assayers and the fact that many assayers report platinum and PGM values in controlled samples that contained NO platinum. Some assayers had reported ounces per ton platinum in some of those samples.

Confirmation of assays can be done through assayers that are listed on the BLM report that actually provided results within the expected margin of error on the controlled samples submitted by BLM.

The second question is related to "where" the platinum source is located. In looking at www.mindat.org, 15 localities are listed in Colorado, assuming that is the State where the platinum is located. Some of those localities had not been confirmed.

- Geowizard

coloradonuggets
09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Geowizard,

Totally agree with your point. I have now contracted over 6 different assay groups to confirm the results. Interesting that four out of the 6 say yes and 2 say no. I have take matters into my own hands and have done my own assays on the material. Seems that it contains signatures of PGM elements: stanous choride test = Deep Yellow and Orange. Cupel - beads look like broccoli and odd nodes and a distinct red stain on the cupel.

I had no clue about the composition of the material when I first investigated. Initially I was looking for gold and gold ore. Sent in the sample for an xrf assay - back came platinum....Sent out for more assays for confirmation and yes. Sent out for more expensive test and they said no....

In addition, bought some academic geologic reports on the geologic area. The native rock is mafic gabbro. Further research of PGMs - I found out that pgms do typically occur in mafffic gabbro. So it seems that there is a good chance that the material does contain pgms.....

Regardless, wish that it wasn;t so difficult to get to the bottom of the story of the rock. So I am doing my own exploration and pilot work.

geowizard
09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
coloradonuggets,

You are doing a thorough job from what it sounds. May I ask what your reference is for the mafic occurance of platinum? In Alaska, from what I have learned so far, platinum is found in ultra-mafic rocks.

Please be sure to check the assayers used in your decision to go ahead with this against the BLM report. If you need a link to it, It is available at the Arizona Dept. of Mines and Mineral Resources website.

And... Yes, I learned the hard way about assay reports too. It helped me to become more self reliant. I set up my own assay lab with AA spectrometers and calibration standards.

- Geowizard

coloradonuggets
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
After I found out the rock potentially contained PGMs - started to read up on what type of rocks and mineralization that PGMs occur. Did a search on Google for "what type of rocks do pgms occur " - mafic/ultra-mafic came back.

But the fact the I had some assays comeback positive and the native rock being maffic - seems a problem to chase; and its only 22 miles from home.....

But lessons learned - seems that getting a good assay on PGMs is spotty at best....

-P

Reno Chris
09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Before you spend a bunch of cash, buy a mortar and pestle for less than $30, then hand crush five pounds and pan the material and see what you get. Try melting the result with a oxyacetylene torch. If you can produce a bead, then you should be able to do it on a larger scale. My thought is that if 2 say no you probably don't have Pt in a concentration large enough to be worth fiddling with.

coloradonuggets
09-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Chris,

Yea already did some crushing, the heavies are very very fine, minus 100 easily. Took the heavies and did a stanous chloride test to confirm. Working out the claim details, etc. want to do more of a pilot project on the claim.

So looking for a good tool to separate the very fine heavies.

Any ideas?

But is it me? But seems that pgms are a difficult item to assay...

Reno Chris
09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Gravity separation (blue bowl, sluices, Gold Cube, tables etc.) of stuff that is 150 minus, is pretty much a waste of time - stuff that small needs chemical concentration to work. You may, if you are lucky, get 10 to 30 percent recovery with gravity methods. If not lucky, then worse. Have you assayed the concentrates you did produce? It is entirely possible that the platinum, if you actually do have platinum, is not in the heavy concentrates. I am not so sure you are looking at platinum if you are looking at such tiny stuff without serious magnification - like with a high dollar microscope. Just because it appears metallic looking - that doesn't mean anything. Many rocks have small amounts of sulfides that look metallic and will concentrate with gravity methods, and identifying 150 mesh sulfides takes some serious equipment. I wish I could tell you that hard rock mining is cheap and easy, but it just is not.