View Full Version : Trommel build

simkiss2001
09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I am building a trommel to use on my claim this season and i am thinking of 2 55 gallon drums and not sure how big the hopper should be any ideas ?

micropedes1
09-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Too lightweight to withstand the constant pounding. There is an outfit down your way that builds them utilizing heavier metal culverts. I will look for their site.

barrelroll
09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Not sure where you are but look for a place sells either new surplus steel by the pound or used steel by the pound and look for a decent piece of pipe. There's some good reports linked to this site about gold recovery systems that would be worth reading before you start your build.

simkiss2001
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
i am in queen creek arizona . near superstition mountains ..

digger68
09-18-2012, 08:17 PM
How about a 500 gallon propane tank?

simkiss2001
09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
hmm would that work not sure this is our first season and we are looking to start kinda small and work our way up . my friend has been looking at back hoes with 4 wheel drive and wheels would that work i see alot of the equipment up there is tracks but i was also looking at a mini excavator to feed the trommel .any ideas and also which is better a trommel or wash plant ? and info will help .

barrelroll
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
How much reading have you done? I'm not an expert by any means but I have learned a little and have some common business sense. If you got interested in mining from gold shows there's 1 thing they have actually "taught you" it's sample the ground before you actually start a full on mining

Here's a decent spot to start reading http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/737-Essential-Research-Materials-for-Alaska

There's also a thread with recomended books some where on here

Alot is going to depend on your claim. How fine is the gold, do you have lots of clay, how much material you want to move an hour. Lots of factors. Were you the guys that tried to mine at one of the claims that was on gold father's? Didn't you loose a bunch of money the first time, learn from your mistakes. Look at what works for claims near yours and most likely it will work on yours.

Do some math to figure out if you might make money with your small operation. Here's what I would do:
-Do sampling. Figure out how much gold you have per yard
-Multiply the amount of gold per yard by about 75% of the spot value of gold (about what you'll get paid when you go to sell it) that will give you how much your dirt is worth per hour
-Figure out how much fuel your equipment and plant use per hour and multiply it by how much much fuel is a gallon (remember there's a decent mark up for fuel delivered to claims and fuel in the bush isn't cheap to begin with) to get your fuel costs per hour
-Figure out how many hours per day you plan on running and how many days you plan on running during the season
-Figure out your fixed expenses such as food, permits, a place to stay, claim fees, equipment maintenance required for the hours you plan to run, expenses to get you and your crew to your claim
-Get an idea of your variable expenses such as equipment repairs and replacement, estimate high and you might be close

Now multiply your fuel costs x hours you plan on running add in your total fixed and variable expenses. That's an estimate of the total expenses for the season. Now I'd divide your total expenses by about 50% of the total hours you plan on running to add in some wiggle room because you'll have down time and won't always be running pay dirt. That's how much you need to make an hour to break even. Take that amount and divide it by how much your dirt is worth per yard and that will give you how many yards you need to run an hour. See what I'm getting at here? Is it actually possible for you to make a profit? The more dirt you can run an hour the more money you "can" make but your expenses go up as the equipment gets bigger. That's some real rough math and isn't a fail safe formula but it might help keep you from loosing a lot of money again.

Wheels vs. tracks depends on the ground you are working. Tracks will move over ground that will have a wheeled piece of equipment stuck quickly but wheeled equipment is usually cheaper to maintain and moves quicker.

simkiss2001
09-19-2012, 10:00 PM
oh i just got back from alaska a few months ago i have been prospecting for several years now and i was mining the claim next to the claim i bought i know there is gold there for a fact i see it with my own eyes and i have mined it too . i just want to use bigger than a 5 inch dredge . i was panning almost a gram in a shovel full . and this time its diff because i own the claim and there is no one that can tell me to get off lol ..

simkiss2001
09-19-2012, 10:02 PM
or maybe someone knows someone with a trommel they dont want or something and want to sell it cheap llol . whats the diff between a trommel and washplant ?

DanAk
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
A trommel is a wash plant, several types of wash plant's available, shakers, trommels, jig's etc etc. its all about washing rocks..

simkiss2001
09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
oh what i mean to say is which is best ?

DanAk
09-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Depends on the material you are washing, trommels work well with clay and hard to wash material, shakers work well on easier to wash material, probably a trommel would be a good all around plant, though I am running 2 shaker plants and have a trommel for a test plant..

simkiss2001
09-19-2012, 10:42 PM
yeah i have 8 months to find some thing or make something .