View Full Version : Dual Intake Nozzle Dredge

bmborum
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I know they exist commercially to some extent, and believe it could work with the right plumbing, but what are thoughts on a dual intake nozzle dredge for the small operator. How about having the power and initial plumbing for a 6 inch dredge but have 2 3inch nozzles on separate lines? For exploration and sampling, having two guys working it seems like its be much more efficient, for yardage though.....I think you'd lose out there. Anybody seen one? Worked with one? Thoughts on production? Feasibility?

Brian Berkhahn
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
If you have nozzles in 2 different locations going to 1 box how are you going to know where the gold is coming from? Your going to move alot more dirt with one 6" then with 2 3".

geowizard
09-21-2012, 05:52 PM
You lost me. Two people doing less work is more efficient. Where do I find the "confused" emoticon?

- Geowizard

bmborum
09-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Makes sense and I can see the confusion, but let's say we were sampling a 50-100 foot section of stream.....not necessarily a "targeted" approach but couldn't two guys with two nozzles sample the area much faster? Then form a more targeted approach for that section?

geowizard
09-21-2012, 07:27 PM
bmborum,

Yes, but it's going to be confusing to determine which one of the nozzels picked up the gold as was posted above by Brian.

49er Mike
09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
There is absolutely no way two 3" nozzles will move as much material as one 6" nozzle, or even a 5" nozzle for that matter! Not taking into account the reduce total volume of two 3" hoses compared to one 6" hose, just the increased number of 3"+ rocks that need to be manually tossed that a 6" will just suck up.

Bob(AK)
09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I agree with Brian and 49er, no reason to even consider such a contraption

Steve Herschbach
09-24-2012, 05:57 AM
I am sure if such a thing was needed and it served a purpose somebody would build one. I have never been asked to assemble such a thing in 36 years of selling the stuff. Far more efficient to use the 6" to dredge locations A and then dredge location B.

POLEKAAT
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
a 6" hose flows as much as 2.1 4" hoses

Cal_Gold_Dredger
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
How about two 8's.... aren't two better than just one?

http://www.diamonddredges.com/images/Twin%208-Deutz%20Power%20copy-text.jpg

james a.
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Can you imagine how much suction there would be on one side if an when the other side got plugged on 2, 3" hoses?

AK_Au_diver
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I have seen several people in Mome try two six or eights mounted to one platform. Typically separate everything. The idea being that one deckhand can serve two divers. I have never seen this work well in the ocean. Might work in a river. When I tried it, I found it down right dangerous, too much going on under water. Besides, in the ocean, the diver is typically on one side of the dredge or in front, there is no place for a second diver.

Multiple nozzle dredges are banned in the Nome Rec areas. So if someone wanted to build one for a leased area, why not just make a single 10".

For a river, always use the largest size dredge that is allowed/feasible.

49er Mike
09-27-2012, 09:51 PM
bmborum-

Please read my response again. One guy with a 6" could move more that four guys combined with four 3" dredges. Work it out mathmatically if you don't believe me. That is not even including the oversized rocks that need to be thrown with the three's.