View Full Version : Gold Bug 2 or Gold Bug Pro for gold in Colorado?

WolfgangStiller
09-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Has anyone used both the Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro for hunting gold?

I am torn between the Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug 2. This will be used to find gold only (no coins, relics, etc) and mostly tiny gold not too deep in highly mineralized soil. I am looking to do some prospecting (on this the GB2 seems to win based on what I have read due to it's 70khz freq and not too much iron) but I will also be detecting for gold in some mine tailings and here I have heard that I'll be digging a lot of trash with the GB2 and less with GB pro (but I am not sure about that since some of this could be tied to usage issues since the GB2 has more of a learning curve).

Is the GB2 way more sensitive to small gold than the GB2 or just something like 10 to 25% more sensitive? Will I be better off with the GB Pro even though it is less sensitive since I will be digging fewer trash targets?

In Steve's guide I read this on the Gold Bug Pro:

Steve's Opinion - Light weight, sensitive, and full target identification. The Pro is the final version in this series which saw several early variations. I can easily sum this detector up as having the best capabilities of the Fisher F75 and Gold Bug 2 wrapped up in one bargain priced lightweight unit. It is a excellent choice for prospecting, relic, or jewelry detecting and does fine as a coin detector also. Get the 5" coil version and the optional 10" x 5" DD coil for a great package.

This makes me think that the GB Pro may be almost as good as finding the really small sub-pinhead (I'd guess something like 1/4 grain) size nuggets that will mark areas I want to check more closely but I haven't been to get confirmation of that. Does anyone have an idea of how sensitive the GB Pro is compared to the GB2 finding small specs like this (say in the top two inches of dirt)?

-Wolfgang

Reno Chris
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I've found gold with both. I'd say that the GB2 is much better at small gold - but its not something so simple as to say its 20% better or something like that. It depends on the size of gold we are talking about. I am not sure the GB Pro would even see a 1/4 grain piece of gold at all - its not so good at the gold that small and even the GB2, which certainly can see 1/4 grain sized gold, will only see it a short distance from the coil. You wont be seeing a 1/4 grain flake at 4 inches or anything like that. Think more in terms of seeing that gold from less than an inch distance. At the really small end, like 1/10th grain, the GB2 is 100% better than the pro as the pro simply wont see that small end gold at all. I'd say the GB Pro has slightly better discrimination but not wildly so. All VLF units have some difficulties with highly mineralized soils, and it actually reduces their sensitivity. I am planning to do some quartz prospect dump hinting here in the next few weeks and I will be taking my GB2 because of its increased sensitivity to small gold.

WolfgangStiller
09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks, Chris. I briefly played with a borrowed GB2 and saw it could detect some microscopic gold specs that are typical in areas we go but haven't seen a GBP. This gives me something to go on.

Steve Herschbach
09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
"This will be used to find gold only (no coins, relics, etc) and mostly tiny gold not too deep in highly mineralized soil."

Gold Bug 2 all the way. The GBP is more for someone wanting a do-it-all detector. Just my opinion as a person who owns both.

WolfgangStiller
09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks, Steve--it's wonderful to be able to get real-world opinions based on using both MDs for gold.