View Full Version : Well here is the trommel .

simkiss2001
09-29-2012, 11:26 PM

i hope this one will work . what do you guys think ?

micropedes1
09-30-2012, 05:22 AM
I think its a long way from Alaska!! How ya gonna move it?

simkiss2001
09-30-2012, 07:47 AM
well i am pulling it from arizona to alaska with my f250 . This season is going to be just about getting everything there to the claim . and working to find as much gold as possible then going to leave everything there at the house i am buying and store it all for the winter so to follwing seasons i dont have to drive i will just fly .

Old Radio Tech
09-30-2012, 07:59 AM
I know the Alcan is better than it used to be, but I'd be worried how bad it may get beat up.

simkiss2001
09-30-2012, 10:37 AM
about 10 miles before you enter back into the us from canada the road is crap once you enter into alaska the road is pretty good i just drove it last may with my camper and boy i was only going about 15-20 mph and will do the same with this . i am in no rush to get there as long as i am there by june 1 which i am leaveing may 20 which will give me plenty of time to get there also my buddy is following me with his f350 and a backhoe . Its alot cheaper bringing this trommel up then buying one up there .

simkiss2001
09-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Are trommels good all round equipment . What are some opinons about wash plants ?

micropedes1
09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Ron, figure that the road from Haines Junction to Tok to be your worst, roughest stretch. Especially from Destruction Bay to Tetlin. Mid-May is just after the thaw and the road crews have not had time to fix hardly any of the frost-heaves. 2 days minimum for that section. Carry a couple of spares, hydraulic jacks, and spare wheel bearings. Also, install air lift bags between your rear truck axle and frame to absorb some of the bounce and keep from breaking a spring. Been there...done that!

simkiss2001
09-30-2012, 07:24 PM
yeah it wasnt too bad in may when i went up there so i am not too worried

Geo Jim
10-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah, trommels are fine. I am not sure about this one. The hopper looks a bit small. You will need to take careful aim so you wont miss. You must have clayey ground that needs washing to recover the gold.
Geo Jim

fineswme
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
You really may want to consider working with a Grizzly classification system for your area .. You should really take a long look at using a Cat to strip , divert , create settling ponds , feed wash plant , and clear/reclaim tailings ... Any question of how to , refer back to "Chickenminers" old posts , there are pictures there as well ... Before you drive up, consider buying all the equipment you are going to need : 4"-6" diesel powered pump , Generator enough to carry grizzly if you opt. , Fuel truck , Some kind of portable living quarters , clean-up sluice/pulsating jig , any kind of RV for getting around , High-bank set up for sampling , everything your gonna need down to water filtration/heater for camp .... You wouldn't want to have to buy these things when you arrive in Alaska as they can be quite a bit more expensive considering someone has had to pay to ship them up there ... Another thought I have is you should consider hiring someone from the mainland (accustomed cheaper wages) with many years of placer mining expertise to help you set up and get your operation off the ground , once you have a good feel for how to placer mine he may no longer be needed and you have the option at that point whether to retain his services or not .. There is a much larger learning curve to successful placer mining than meets the eye ... When buying old used equipment and transporting into remote areas one has to be careful as to not cause himself a mechanical nightmare loosing days and weeks of a very limited production time , given mining seasons are very limited in Alaska not to mention nature can stack the deck with a few jokers as well creating even a shorter window of production time ... As for wintertime storage of mining equipment you may consider renting a small commercial storage lot and write off the lease instead of paying a mortgage on a house ... Hopefully, this post satisfies the powers to be , as I have tried my best to explain to you the most cost effective way to try to become a placer miner in Alaska for the benefit of the readers of this forum... I personally would look to hire locally and buy all my products locally supporting the members of that community ... Wes

simkiss2001
10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
thegoldrushconcentrator.com

whats everyones thought on this . Is it better than trommel or no ?

carter
10-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Make sure you have spare parts for anything that can go bad or brake. Redo your wheel bearing

fineswme
10-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Carter , Long time --- Speaking of Trommels ; have you had any time to work on yours ??? Hope hunting has been good ... Wes

simkiss2001
10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
yes carter we are going to have sevral spare parts for the trommel and all our equipment i pick up the trommel this weekend and will have better pics of it soon but i am going to tear it down and lube greese and make it brand new again . everything that can brake i will have with us to replace lol . only 7 months to go

simkiss2001
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Another question is getting mshaw tranning a good idea ...

Jeff
10-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Hey simkiss-I'm headed up that way next year too. Im bringing a 33' travel trailer to camp in and sell at the end of the season and may have a motorhome for someone to drive and sell also. I have a 5" dredge and 3" highbanker/dredge combo. If you or anybody out there wants to work together, or has a claim for lease on a %age basis and can use an extra hand just let me know. I'll be bringing a fantastic cook too that can work security. I have 3 travel trailers in Dallas for sale.

simkiss2001
10-03-2012, 08:46 PM
i sent you a message jeff email me .