View Full Version : Man's body in the Nevada wilderness just recently been found over 1 1/2 years later.

goldmann
10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Why didn't they have a cheap SPOT satellite beacon device that would have saved his life.??

Also always carry 2 or 3 GPS units with spare batteries wraped with an elastic band and 2 or 3 Compasses with topographic maps or at least a very good road map with Lat-Long and/or UTM coordinates of where ever you go in isolated areas.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hunters-find-body-missing-man-died-walking-wilderness-article-1.1172600

Hunters find body of Canadian Albert Chretien who went missing in Nevada wilderness in 2011. The body of a Canadian man missing in the Nevada wilderness since 2011 has (just recently) been found, more than a year and a half after he vanished while seeking help.

Chretien went searching for help when van he was traveling in with wife broke down on way to Las Vegas. His wife survived for next 48 days on brink of starvation before rescue.

Their faulty GPS which had reportedly led them the wrong way into the woods in the first place - then failed Chretien again, as the battery likely died while he was trying to navigate his way on foot.

TheSeeker
10-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Sad story,.. To quote Dirty Harry, "a man's got to know his limitations". The safety aspects of the modern technologies can easily lure a person into the false sense that 'if I get into trouble, rescue is just a signal call away', when the reality is that technology often fails and Nature can be unforgiving to the unprepared, wheither the desert or the arctic or the 20 acre woods in your 'back yard'. The bottom line is that whenever you go out 'into the wilds' you should be dressed, equipped and prepared to take care of yourself,.. You can still have an accident and be injured, or get sick and need help,.. There are no guarantees, but not being ready to 'hunker down' and stay put, at least for a few days, where you are until conditions improve or help comes is the quickest way to end up dead.

thegoldgopher
10-05-2012, 06:17 PM
We came upon a Lincoln up in Desert Wildife Preserve NNW of Corn Creek, Nevada. SOS had been put on the roof in duct tape. We searched the area, and a search of the glove box turned up no paperwork. The plates were gone. We did a sniff search for about an hour around the car. It was out on a dry lake bed, Desert Dry Lake, and had got stuck in huge ruts made when people go through when it's wet. We called it in, but apparently all was well, as they did not call us back. The car was gone the next week we went there. Spooky.

geowizard
10-05-2012, 08:31 PM
GPS receivers have a growing list of screens that we have to acknowledge i.e. don't use while driving... don't rely on mapping software that shows "short cuts". etc.

So, yes this really happened, but why?

It's hard to believe that a malfunctioning GPS receiver could steer a rational thinking person down a dirt road to Las Vegas. It really doesn't add up.

Admittedly, a GPS receiver might show a secondary paved road as a short cut. It's a stretch to think it would have you going down I-80to Las Vegas and make a turn off onto a dirt road. The Interstate Highway system is actually designed to not have intersections with dirt roads.

If a person WAS inclined to "follow a malfunctioning GPS receiver" into the hinterlands... WHY NOT walk out the same way you drove in? Following the dirt road back out to a larger road and then an even larger road - keeps you at the very least on a road where sooner or later someone will pass by.

- Geowizard

jcazgoldchaser
10-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Recent trip to AK, one of our leaders looked down at his GPS to see they were in the middle of a large lake. The guide wasn't sure of the trail so they headed back.

geowizard
10-07-2012, 07:10 AM
The world is full of wannabe wilderness treckers. There are certain requirements that qualify a person to be a trecker. The gold forums are full of threads and posts on this topic. It is sad to hear or read in the news on occasion that someone has become a victim to the same environment that they cherish so dearly.

When I drive through northern Nevada and more particularly the area between Fallon and Winnemucca, I am always impressed with the mountains. Also knowing the riches that are held there. It's a great area for prospecting. It's a great area for taking pictures and enjoying the out-of-doors.

How far is too far? What preparations have been made? What is the exit plan and what are the contingencies should the exit plan fail to be executed?

Spur of the moment adventures into the hinterlands are not a smart plan! These "expeditions" are usually not planned and not prepared for. No food, No water, No shovel, No personal protection, No shelter, No proper means of navigation, No means of producing heat. or staying warm should survival become part of the adventure.

- Geowizard

thegoldgopher
10-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Was in central Nevada near Hot Creek Ranch, out in the boonies. Within a 3 foot circle, I found: a cell phone, a tin can with a soldered on top (circa 1900), and an arrowhead. An amazing collage of three entirely different cultures.

geowizard
10-09-2012, 07:36 AM
gopher,

Excellent point. What are the differences in the cultures? Early inhabitants didn't have canned food OR cel phones! :)

They made fire and found food. Made arrowheads from obsidian and flint. They wove moccasins from sagebrush and used pelts to cover themselves. They built tee-pees or other structures or lived in caves for shelter. The "wilderness" was after all, their home!

Speaking of bacon and beans, how many miners on this forum take raw beans out on mining expeditions? No preservatives, and they last a long time.

- Geowizard

Minermike
10-11-2012, 12:02 AM
I was in NW. Q'land about two years ago. I got bogged, much to my surprise , I was about 25 kms. to any help. Out of range for cell phones, you need a sat. phone. I was by myself in the 4WD. I had plenty of food and water. What tricked me was the wheel ruts were full of silt. So I had a lot less clearance than what I thought. I was digging myself out when a guy that I knew turned up and pulled me out. I could have been stuck there for a few days.