Log in

View Full Version : Digestibility and ownership of pickers

10-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I see that some of the divers put pickers in their mouths, and believe I heard one of them say that they get to keep them, separate from the cleanout. Is that true?

And what if someone swallowed one of them? Would it dissolve in stomach acid? And if it did, would it be toxic?

10-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Aqua-regia, cyanide and bleach react with gold. Hopefully, there's none of these things in someone's stomach. Stomach acid reacts with food. Gold doesn't react to any individual acid - with the exception of HCL in certain cases.

If someone swallows a picker, they would need to "screen for the pickers" - if you get my meaning. Gives cleanup a whole new meaning. :)

- Geowizard

10-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Geo, Gopher, You boys ain't gonna start telling Highgrading stories now are yee.... Many years of mining and I've heard some good one's. There have been a few town laundrys that faired well doing the miners diggers and panning the sand in the sediment trap, seen the results. "V"

Bill Bohan
10-06-2012, 10:26 AM
One of my metal detecting buddies recently swallowed his gold crown dental work. It would cost 700 dollars to replace it, so the too much information of this was that he was baggin his dump from a dolly and metal detecting it to recover his dental work. At week number two, he was not having much luck thus far, so I asked him if he ran his metal detector across his abdomin to see if he still had a case of gold colon. He said he hadn't. I told him to get hisass in to the doctor and get a 900 dollar xray cause he was spending too much stool time exploring for gold. Hmm? I guess there could be some sucess to arm chair prospecting after all :cool:

10-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't think swallowing a gold nugget would hurt anyone because for centuries, in some cultures (China?), people have eaten gold leaf as a "remedy" for various ailments...it's not toxic, expensive yes, but not toxic. And then there's the Peppermint Schnapps with gold leaf in the bottle... (no, I never tried it)

10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Goldschläger is cinnamon schnapps. Comes from Switzerland. I have drank it on a few occasions. If it has any health benefits, I never noticed them. Could be I didn't drink enough.

It looks like a lot of gold leaf in the bottle, but doesn't amount to squat. Several years ago, I decanted off the schnapps from a bottle and saved the most the leaf in a vial just to find out how much there was.