View Full Version : valuble metals associated with 5-6 sided crystals?

carter
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I was sheep hunting with my son and came across a boulder (half the size of a car)that fell off a steep mountainside. looking at the rock i noticed these transparent crystals hanging off some of the overhead sides of the rock. if i remember, they had 5 or 6 sides to them and then they came to a point with similar sides to it.I got messing around with them and found a piece of dull gray colored something?Could it have been silver or platinum? Would one of these metals be associated with this type of crystal? This was before i got into dredging and owning some claims so i didnt pay to much attention. I know were this rock is and you can kinda see where it fell off the mountainside. I know this is vague but i see there is alot of geology info with you guys on here.

Reno Chris
10-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Yep, way, way too vague. Gray could have been galena, arsenopyrite or a host of other things, but very unlikely to be metallic platinum or silver. 6 sided crystals could have been quartz or something else. Because crystals are symmetric, there are no true 5 sided crystals.