View Full Version : my new dredge

dredgernaut
10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
i just got my dream , a keene 6222he , twin 11 hp. honda's with electric start, with twin 4x3 pumps , ghast 263 , 8 foot x 26 inch triple sluice , cant wait to get up there to run it , colorado wont let me run it here , she is 7 foot wide and 12 foot long , should i mount it to a pontoon boat and head to nome , lol

carter
10-10-2012, 05:04 AM
I used my new 6" keene single 13hp this summer. Same air pump but i never used it.Actually might be same engine as yours.Have you been around that sluice box before?

dredgernaut
10-10-2012, 07:24 AM
hey carter , no never been around this size sluice before , but im not afraid , lol, my other dredge is an old triple sluice , but they were side by side , i have pics in my album , how come you never used your air , my dredge is to big to carry in thats for sure , it needs its own trailer

greg
10-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I can't say enough good things about my 6". I have twin 6.5hp engines and run it full out with the sluice as flat (forward) as possible. I run my 3rd stage with the metal slid as far out as possible to keep it clean but I have to slow down when moving fine overburden or it packs up. I've let that stage go for 2.5 weeks at a time before cleaning it. I find such little gold there relative to the 1st stage I'm confident I'm not losing much if anything.

One of these days I'm going to give a commercial dredge like yours a try. Although learning the permitting structure (and paying the royalties) will be a pain.

dredgernaut
10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
hi greg where in ak. are you

greg
10-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm in Anchorage but I do most of my dredging up in the Circle district.

carter
10-16-2012, 06:00 AM
I can't say enough good things about my 6". I have twin 6.5hp engines and run it full out with the sluice as flat (forward) as possible. I run my 3rd stage with the metal slid as far out as possible to keep it clean but I have to slow down when moving fine overburden or it packs up. I've let that stage go for 2.5 weeks at a time before cleaning it. I find such little gold there relative to the 1st stage I'm confident I'm not losing much if anything.

One of these days I'm going to give a commercial dredge like yours a try. Although learning the permitting structure (and paying the royalties) will be a pain.

R u sure! Ill give u my example. I have ran my 3" keene(mini) for 2 seasons on my claims, last year (i ran around 4-6 hrs. on the average) I got 1/4 oz. numberous times & got 1/2 oz. 2 times. Was enough gold to talk my lovely wife of 22 yrs. to buy a 6" keene from AMDS last winter. I am running the single 13hp.I ran most of july (i had vacation for my big dredging season) & the best i ever did in one day was 1/3oz. How is that? I was moving more than 4-5 times the material!!I set the bigger dredge up where i left off last year with the 3". I too had my lower sluice opened all the way.Anyways, look up my older entries on here to get some ideas what ive been told to try.

Steve Herschbach
10-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi Carter,

I seriously doubt situations involving dredging where less gold is attributed to the dredge. These things are used by thousands of people around the world. Nobody says they get all the gold but the fact is they basically do work.

Dramatically less gold recovered is almost certainly because there was less gold in the material being mined. It does not matter that you set up where you left off. Gold does not occur evenly throughout a stream, it occurs in paystreaks. You were in one, then you were not.

I have seen what has happened to you happen to many people. The idea that the larger gold dredge moved far more material but had a loss rate so dramatic that it resulted in less gold at the end of the day just flies in the face of a much more likely answer. That being you we're putting your smaller dredge into better material than you put the larger dredge into.

Forget trying to fiddle with the dredge to try and make it change dirt into gold. Just accept what it is telling you, and that is that you are not into good material. I see people changing riffles, changing carpets, etc. etc. when what they need to do is change the location of the nozzle.

An analogy. You pan a place and get good gold. You use a different pan and pan nearby and get no gold. Is the second pan no good? Did you forget how to pan? Or maybe you just believe the pan when it tells you that place was not as good?

You have to either trust your tools and believe what they are telling you or not. If you have totally lost faith in the 6" dredge, your best bet may be to get rid of it and go back to your smaller dredges. Because I do not think the 6" is broken so you are never going to fix it.

That is just my opinion on the subject, so take it or leave it for what it is worth. I won't attempt to argue it one way or the other.

LipCa
10-16-2012, 08:25 AM
But, you can fool around putting in different collection systems that are not meant for your dredge and not catch the gold anymore!!

dredgernaut
10-16-2012, 09:33 AM
i run miners moss over deep v groove matting in my old keene 5 inch , the sluice designs are completly different , would you recomend still using miners moss over deep v , in all locations of new sluice , meaning uper and lower , in this size sluice , , im planning to run in nome if it makes a differance

greg
10-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm with Steve - it's the ground you're working not the dredge. I've put enough hours on the nozzle and done enough testing over the years to trust my equipment and listen to what it's telling me about the ground I'm working.