View Full Version : Crow Creek

Lurch
10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Not having been to Crow Creek lately, I was wondering what folks here thought about all the recent flooding. Do you suppose the 1995 flood has happened again? Thoughts?

Bob(AK)
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't think so, this was not nearly that bad

Geo Jim
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
It takes some very serious flooding to do a significant reworking of stream sediments. I think I am talking about at least a 100 year flood, but probably a 1000 year flood or more. If the flood was reworking unmined ground, it would be one thing. But the flood you are hoping for would be working tailings. (You can not get blood out of a turnip...this is a sorry analogy.) Actually I think you are even hoping for a miracle! They say miracles happen, but not very often.

I think what you need (short of a miracle) is a landslide that dams up Crow Creek, but then washes out (causing a huge mess!), but leaving a bunch of new stream-deposited placer gold that was formerly tied up in hillside sediments (colluvium). Unfortunately washed out landslides leave behind braided streams. Braided streams clog the valley floor with too much sediment. Eventually with a little slug of geologic time (thousands of years), the braided stream deposited gravel will get naturally sluiced into a nice little pay streak on bedrock. But dont dream that it will happen in your lifetime, unless you can keep trucking until you are 10 to 15, 000 years old. Good Luck with that one.
Geo Jim

Marshall/Ak
10-16-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't know about the area around Crow Creek, but the recent flooding 3 weeks ago in the Seward area was, by far, the worst I have ever experienced. We never had our crawl space flood before, but we did this time, and also we lost about 100' of our driveway...washed away. We were marooned in our home for several days with no way to get in or out, except possibly by heliocopter. (never had to resort to that). But we were prepared and had lots of food and water, and a diesel generator for power. Here's a couple videos I shot during that flooding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQPASAoOZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJj2yCKcz2Y&feature=relmfu

And here's the video I shot after the water rose yet ANOTHER foot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuNFKv5Cfg8&feature=plcp

There is a meeting today in Seward for those who want to apply for State disaster assistance, and I am going...because one of my driveway bridges is GONE...I don't have the money to replace it. That's our neighbor's house you see in the vids...ours is behind me about 100'...

Marshall

geowizard
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Marshall,

That is impressive flooding!

Geo Jim,

I look at the paultry gold that is recovered at Crow Creek and ponder the gold I saw recovered there in 1973-74. Then, you could drive through the camp/cabin area and up to and slightly beyond the glacier. Crow creek eminated from the base of the glacier. I met a dredger with an inner tube and maybe 2" to 3" suction dredge that was actively dredging and he stopped to visit. A couple of months later, I was working as a bus-boy at the Royal Inn in Anchorage - Now called the Westward Inn (I believe that is the new name). In the lobby was a very large display of nuggets and nugget jewelry. Suddenly appeared a man in a very nice suit and tie - it was the dredger. He said that he operates the jewelry business in the winter and lived in the penthouse suite on the top floor!

- Geowizard