View Full Version : Gun rack on the dredge???

Jeff
10-23-2012, 06:09 PM
So there u are, dredging alone and watching the fish swim by when a paw the size of a tree trunk (it looks bigger underwater) swipes one in front of you. Where do you keep the shotgun so it doesn't get wet? On a 3-point gunrack over the sluice.
Or you are knee deep in water tending the box when u hear splashing behind you....Pics at a later date.

Bill Bohan
10-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Lol,
I had a bear down a bull caribou 60 yds up stream from my dredging work site two summers ago on Ottertail creek. It does get you thinking about better security.

james a.
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Dredging in fresh water.Stainless steel pistol would be good.Just wipe it down at the end of the day.That 460 I have is a good one.
Packs the same punch as a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel with 1 ounce lead.But compact an will not put as much wieght to the one side of your dredge as a whole shotgun would.My lab jumped on me while I was dredging once.If a bear did that.Not too much anything would do until he gives up himself.
Talk about filling the dry suit with bad air after that!

Brian Berkhahn
10-24-2012, 06:58 PM
This is hard for me to to say and admit (being a huge gun lover) but the same thought has crossed my mind.. so I decided on puting a can of bear spray (or commonly refered to as seasoning) straped to the side of the dredge. I figured something is better than nothing.

A few years ago I was down in my dredge hole when something just didn't feel right.. like I wasn't alone. I slowly came to the surface to find a black bear walking past me. I slowly went back to the bottom of the hole which was about 12' deep and waited for about 30 min before I came back up.

Jeff
10-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Lol,
I had a bear down a bull caribou 60 yds up stream from my dredging work site two summers ago on Ottertail creek. It does get you thinking about better security.

Thats for sure Bill. You were in the grab bag as a meal that day. I dont think I will dredge alone anymore just for that reason. When Fate comes around and you've been skating by some near misses for a long time, in one moments distraction you will become like that caribou...helpless. Always be aware.

Jeff
10-25-2012, 06:48 AM
... I slowly came to the surface to find a black bear walking past me. I slowly went back to the bottom of the hole which was about 12' deep and waited for about 30 min before I came back up.

Hey Brian, I've pissed in my wetsuit on occasion. What's it like to take a crap in it? lol...just remember, you are slower and cant jump as far as the fish. I would have been praying that the fish didn't make a run for your hole and all the bears come for the feast! Bad time to be low on gas,too.

And to James' concern about the weight being off centered, thats why I'm thinking about an angled rack above the header box. The thought of the bluing vibrating off of my worst shotgun at a contact point bothers me. I could go with a rubber stopper or hose in the end of the barrel that will flex a little at the top of the rack and just slide the butt out of the lower frame. I may have to go with a 4 point brace instead of 3 just because the elevated weight will vibrate and crack the rack. Maybe I'll just make the box tender wear it...but sometimes you do slip.

Marshall/Ak
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
True story:
Speaking of "crap" inside your drysuit: many years ago a group of us were dredging the same hole. One of the guys, who had to wear a colostomy bag, decided it was his turn. He put on his drysuit and into the water he went. After a minute he came jumping back out. The reason? His "bag" had burst! Needless to say it was an ugly scene. I never saw him dive again...

Randy H
10-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I was in a small creek but it seems like I was mostly 15' or more away from the dredge. I keep the 12 gauge on one side of the creek and a 44 mag. on the other side close to where I am working when I was alone. Make sure you do not throw your rocks on your guns.

Bill Bohan
10-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Once I had a 40lb beaver swim through my work space 40lb times 10x water magnification I though it were a walrus. and it was staring at me like rabies or something. heh heh. It did jump the heart a bit