View Full Version : My idea of Mine food!

Diamond digger
10-24-2012, 02:49 AM
The Ideal mine food!

Years ago when I still had cash to flash I went hunting quite a bit! I would just shoot something for the pot and the rest of the time I would sit around the fire drinking Beers and listen to the tall stories!

Reminds me of the Ngululu Safari Lodge and the owner a chap called Zander, we were sitting quietly one evening piling up the beer cans next to the fire just had a brilliant veld cooked/BBQ meal and I sat back and then I froze man I tell ya I was solid for a split second then I made a grab for my .38 special and Zander walked over and said no man that is Kittercat. Six inches away from me sat a full grown leopard male. I saw the green eyes with gold specs in them and it was stunning to be so close to one without being eaten!

Anyway it was a tame leopard that roamed the fields big and strong and it walked up to me and placed the head on my lap and demanded to be stroked. Phew by now I was gulping beer by the can not the mouthful! We became good friends that Cat and I, he slept in my bed that night and I like a good friendly sort I am I slept in the Hired Car! hahahaha I did not mind when it got on my bed but when it started farting geeeeeeessss trust me not funny!

Anyway it was where I learned all about Biltong.

Now if I tell you to put some spices on meat let it lie for 8 hours then hang it up to dry, you will probably think me a nutter!

I do that every Thursday, I love the stuff my recipe is simple.

500 ml of Course rock salt,

200g of baking soda

Teaspoon of pepper

300g of white sugar.

Now I mix this lot together

Little 20 ml vinegar sprinkled

Not the vinegar! and then I cut 2.5 kg of rump steak into long strips roughly 1 inch x 1.5 inches see picture sprinkle a little vinegar (Not much) on the bottom of a glass bowl Pyrex type will do then grab a handful of the salt mix and chuck it in evenly. Make wire hooks to hang the Biltong from.

Then stick a hook in each strip and place it flat in the bowl the thick ones at the bottom. Then you layer the meat and put a handful mixture in between every layer. No more vinegar. Let it stay in the bowl for 4 hours.

Take it out and pour the fluid away, then pack it back into the Pyrex bowl and if you like salt then you can ad more between the layers but it is not necessary after another 4 hours you take each piece out and use a new table cloth and press the outside of the meat dry.

Now you can hang it up close to a fan and a 60w light bulb. Lots of people make boxes for the biltong to hang in you can but if the light is on and the fan is blowing you are sorted! As long as the light bulb and the fan can dry the moisture out of the air the Biltong will be good! If you have ice and snow outside I would recommend a heater that can dry out the air in the room. I use a heater/Fan combination, works spot on! Just keep the windows closed!

Three long days later grab a sharp knife and start carving.
I always make sure I have a piece or two in my pocket when out mining, grumpy old git cannot spare time to go sit down and eat, the yards must flow!

Brilliant stuff lol!

Hanged a few up so I can take a picture.

Of course the best miners meal is one I was brought up on Harry Sullivan always had a fire going and a big old pot cooking away on top of it.
We would get to the mine at 0500 am and I would pop a chicken into the pot and Harry a side of bacon, Sam loads of potatoes, Tasca, some carrots and beans and another two chickens. Then we start the yards rolling at 0600.
Lunch time is spaced out so the plant does not stop working so whenever one of us was hungry you just tell someone go over and grab a plate. When you are done its back to work! (Slave driver)
Now the best part of this method is that the next morning the food is still in the pot and makes a lovely breakfast, before we add the new day’s ingredients, that could be a few kilos of steak or lamb etc!
Great fun worth a try!
Andy

Bill Bohan
10-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the recipe.

hybanker
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Sounds better than the stew I made does'nt it bill?

flintgreasewood
10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Good yarn spinnin'. Tell us more.

geowizard
10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
How come nobody has started a thread on setting up a micro-brewery in the bush? :)

- Geowizard

Diamond digger
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Is that not standard on a gold mine?
Thought it was!
Sure I can put a small kettle up and get the Whiskey going I am a Chemical engineer after all! A second income stream! hahaha
Andy

geowizard
10-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Andy,

After all, the reason we mine is for good food and cheer!

It's your thread and thanks for starting it!

- Geowizard

Diamond digger
10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Its everyones thread no worries there.
But good food and a strong Whiskey is a good way to unwind after a good hard 18 hour day.
It stands to reason that you will bring the peaches and I will set up the still and do the right thing, by making sure it is only distilled once we do not want it too strong on the mine!
Hahaha I am quite the chef as well did my stint still learning!
One of the greatest meals you can make is to spice a leg of lamb with field spices fresh leaves cover it in a thick mud layer and bury it underground then make a fire over the top and just leave it to burn and die down, dinner time a steamy hot melt in the mouth soft meal awaits!
Andy

Diamond digger
11-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Of course if the air is chilly and you need extra strength in the bones try this one

Two Chickens washed and cut into portions,
Potatoes two per person,
2 tsp of Danja
2 tsp of Djeera
2 tsp of crushed chillies
2 tsp of garum marsalla
1 pkt of Breyani mix
a pinch of cloves
2 tsp of garlic and ginger mix
A piece of whole ginger
2-3 tsp of Mother in law curry powder (Depends on how hot you like it!
Salt and pepper to taste.
dash of oil in a pan
Yellow spice for rice.
method.
Put chicken and potatoes in a pot and bring to boil, add the packet of breyani mix salt
and pepper
put oil in sauce pan and add all spices fry lightly stirring constantly
About two minutes add all to the pot rinse pan into mixture.
Cook rice separately with the rice spice
Two hours later have a ball! Can be kept warm for hours and then it taste better!
Spices can be bought of any Indian spice shop!

hybanker
11-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I do believe my tummy just told me to get busy on that one Thanks for recipe Andy...Edy

Diamond digger
11-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Wdy,
Let me know how you liked it!
Andy