View Full Version : Staking a claim in Laramie

Diamond digger
10-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi,
Does anyone have experience of staking a claim in the Laramie area and if so what are the laws regarding medium sized machine operated recovery systems?
Would love to know!
Andy

Randy H
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I have not made a claim, but you can claim ground if you go there and make a discovery. You must be a US citizen I think? I believe you could use any type or size of equipment you want as long as you follow proper mining regulations. I have been wanting to go to the CO and WY area to check for gems, it is only a days drive. I talked to Dan H. a while ago and some of the good areas are claimed up, or have been withdrawn, but there is still a lot of ground out there. Dan knows the WY area very well. Someone should be mining diamonds out there, but I don't think there are any active mines now. I have some heavy equipment that is in MO that is not being used currently. I can fab a plant. Who wants to go make a discovery and wash some rocks. Might have to wait until spring or go soon, the snow will be coming.

Reno Chris
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
staking a claim in the Laramie area

Look, your question is so vague its hard to answer. Only certain types lands are open to claim and others are not. Before you get all fired up, you should do a little reading and find out a little about the subject. I recommend this pamphlet to start out your journey to learn more:
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/MINERALS__REALTY__AND_RESOURCE_PROTECTION_/energy.Par.28664.File.dat/MiningClaims.pdf
(http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/MINERALS__REALTY__AND_RESOURCE_PROTECTION_/energy.Par.28664.File.dat/MiningClaims.pdf)
This simple pamphlet wont take an hour to read, yet will greatly increase your knowledge concerning US mining claims.
None of us who do know the rules and regulations about staking mining claims were born with that knowledge. We all studied and learned them - it took time and effort. If you take the time to learn, then you will have that knowledge for yourself. There are plenty of sources on the internet and books available for purchase at a reasonable price.

geowizard
10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Andy,

I have experience with mining claims in Wyoming. The rules with reference to operation of machines depends on the domain and what the purpose of the operation is. Federal domain is regulated with one set of regulations. Wyoming State domain another set of regulations. There are often situations of mixed estate and things can get sticky. For example, you may have a situation where you have state owned surface and federally owned minerals.

Shoot me an email.

- Geowizard

Diamond digger
10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the replies.
Geo did so thanks.
Andy

leonard
10-30-2012, 05:57 AM
I have 2 claims in the Laramie area on Douglas Creek. The Wyoming BLM is great to work with. Wyoming is a huge mining and mineral state and seem to be very eager to help in any way. A stop at the BLM in Cheyenne will answer all of your questions.

A friend has a claim on Douglas Creek and he got a permit to use medium sized machinery to excavate a point on the creek. It wasn't that much trouble and after restoration you almost couldn't tell he was even there.

Leonard

Diamond digger
11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Leonard,
Great thanks will do.
Andy

Diamond digger
11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
BTW Leonard your claims are they gold claims?
Andy

leonard
11-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Yes. They are about 3 miles downstream from Keystone, Wy. Keystone is a historic hard rock gold town.
Leonard