View Full Version : trommel build

carter
11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Heres my build i started last yr. Objective is to go into the mining with fun & if gold permits,(profit) get alittle bigger and not have a debt burdened claim!! What you see so far is around $1300 in materials. No pump, hopper/grizzly, discharge chute, plumbing,or chute to head of sluice.
18"x9'x1/4" pipe. 7/8" holes. 2"x36" angle iron at inlet for mixing. 5" casters with grease fittings,40 size chain/sprockets. 4hp honda w/2:1 gear reduction. I thought i was getting the 6:1 reduction, which would have eliminated the jack shaft. Sluice is 18"x96"x1/16" aluminum. The angle iron sluice frame will adjust up for slope. 4ft. of miners moss and 4ft. of deep rib matting will be under 1/4 length of riffles & 3/4 length expanded metal.(length of sluice) The sluice will be sitting close to were it is in pictures. I wanted a very portable trommel with all of my material dicharging out the end so i can keep moving it up the stream w/out piles in the way. No jack stands on sluice, This frame is mounting on a trailer with atv tires on it.The sluice should be around 28" off of level groung.
Ill load it and pull it around with my hitachi ex40.(1/4yd bucket)
I bit off more than i could chew this season, got my permits but ran 3"/6" dredges all summer.

flyfishnv
11-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Looks like a great start!
Ron

outnaboutnak
11-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Agreed. What kind of yards do you hope/plan to run?

carter
11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Id like 10/hr, I wanted to use punchplate but a 4x8 sheet is $1600.(3/8"thick w/1/2" holes) I choked!! 3 years ago this was $500-$600.
Only having single rows of holes is gonna limit me i think. I had a bright idea of drilling the holes(what you see) to save money. I got a carbide, spring loaded 7/8" holesaw and drilled 560 holes!! Thats why you dont see a second set of staggered holes.(yet)

Bob(AK)
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I do think you need many more holes, have fun!! Sorry but I believe screening would be an improvement over holes.

chickenminer
11-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Sorry but I believe screening would be an improvement over holes.

Carter...
I have to agree with Bob. Cutting sections out and putting in woven wire screen
would be a great advantage. Easily replaceable if you choose to go larger/smaller. Far superior opening to surface ratio and natural surface roughness of woven wire promotes a tumbling action as opposed to smooth barrel with holes.

Looks good though. Great start.

chickenminer
11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=carter;20029] I wanted to use punchplate but a 4x8 sheet is $1600.(3/8"thick w/1/2" holes) I choked!! [QUOTE]

I got a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" opening woven wire screen last summer for a shaker plant I'm building.
#3 wire (heaviest wire they will use for 3/4" opening). Cost me $400 from Automatic Welding.

carter
11-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I must admit you are correct, i have all winter and will drill the staggered holes and see how it works.I do not want to sit over the hopper dribbling in a bucket of dirt for 2-3 minutes. A bucket every 2min. is 8yd/hr,we will see what comes out the end.

chickenminer
11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm sure it will serve your purpose just fine, especially if you drill those staggered holes.

In the future though, I'd think hard about changing to wire screen. You will be glad you
did in the long run.

We'll be looking forward to see some photos of it operating next season!

tekno
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I was looking for Automatic Welding but didn't have much luck - do you have a web site URL?

SpecJet
11-12-2012, 08:48 PM
You'll probably need to put a set of rollers on the down hill side of that flange to keep the drum from sliding down hill when sitting at an angle.

I found that the 1 inch angle iron I put in my 18 inch trommel was to large. They had a tendency to throw rocks into my spray bar. I ended up using 1/2" angle iron.

chickenminer
11-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I was looking for Automatic Welding but didn't have much luck - do you have a web site URL?

They don't have much of a website.
http://www.awsc.com/

carter
11-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Look close at first 2 pictures, have spare casters too. I have the steel caster mounts turned at angles for the down load of the drum.The load is bearing straight down the light duty brackets for the most strength!!I could put spraybar at 10 or 2 oclock (opposite of drum rotation) to give material more time to fall off angle iron.? Thanx for reply anyways

You'll probably need to put a set of rollers on the down hill side of that flange to keep the drum from sliding down hill when sitting at an angle.

I found that the 1 inch angle iron I put in my 18 inch trommel was to large. They had a tendency to throw rocks into my spray bar. I ended up using 1/2" angle iron.

SpecJet
11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry, should have included a better explanation. In the picture, the trommel is sitting level. When you run dirt through it, it will have the head (feed) side elevated, so that material can flow. Without a means to stop it, the barrel will slide down hill on the rollers.

Look close at first 2 pictures, have spare casters too. I have the steel caster mounts turned at angles for the down load of the drum.The load is bearing straight down the light duty brackets for the most strength!!I could put spraybar at 10 or 2 oclock (opposite of drum rotation) to give material more time to fall off angle iron.? Thanx for reply anyways

chickenminer
11-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Spec....
Look closer. He does have a roller on the flange that does the trick.

SpecJet
11-13-2012, 10:44 PM
LOL, I should wear my glasses more often.....

Spec....
Look closer. He does have a roller on the flange that does the trick.

carter
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Since mini trommel is a hot topic right now, just wanted to refresh this if anybody didnt see the post last yr. Theres things i would already change and im not even finished with it. I really wanted a 24" pipe but fairbanks didnt have one. Question for you guys hat have been mining already, will a 3" pump be enough or 4"?

P.s. Geo, be gentle on me,

Carter

Heres my build i started last yr. Objective is to go into the mining with fun & if gold permits,(profit) get alittle bigger and not have a debt burdened claim!! What you see so far is around $1300 in materials. No pump, hopper/grizzly, discharge chute, plumbing,or chute to head of sluice.
18"x9'x1/4" pipe. 7/8" holes. 2"x36" angle iron at inlet for mixing. 5" casters with grease fittings,40 size chain/sprockets. 4hp honda w/2:1 gear reduction. I thought i was getting the 6:1 reduction, which would have eliminated the jack shaft. Sluice is 18"x96"x1/16" aluminum. The angle iron sluice frame will adjust up for slope. 4ft. of miners moss and 4ft. of deep rib matting will be under 1/4 length of riffles & 3/4 length expanded metal.(length of sluice) The sluice will be sitting close to were it is in pictures. I wanted a very portable trommel with all of my material dicharging out the end so i can keep moving it up the stream w/out piles in the way. No jack stands on sluice, This frame is mounting on a trailer with atv tires on it.The sluice should be around 28" off of level groung.
Ill load it and pull it around with my hitachi ex40.(1/4yd bucket)
I bit off more than i could chew this season, got my permits but ran 3"/6" dredges all summer.

chickenminer
03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Carter...
Your pump size is going to have more to do with your box size, type of pump,
how far you plan to push water ...etc.

I can get by with a 4" trash pump on my plant. That is screening to -1", 24" box
and not asking for a lot of vertical lift. 4" is minimal though.

outnaboutnak
03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Go bigger, you can always throttle back.