View Full Version : How to keep your regulator from freezing up on you?

DeVo
11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Was out this past weekend and my regulator kept freezing up on me. I finally gave up and put the snorkel on. I can still get about 8 hours of dredge time in a day I just need my air. Is there a good air filtration system to keep all the condensation out? Thanks

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h66/halibutslayerII/IMAG4310.jpg

Bill Bohan
11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Option 1. Your regulator freezes in free flow and your able to continue to work with frees flowing air but no reserve psi.

2. extend your compressor to tank airline so you can put your air tank under water. This will make your air the temp of the water which is slightly below freezing.

3. Rig the tank in front of the exhaust . Your under pressure so fumes won't be sucked in the intake. You must have a metal tank to do this . The exhaust of the engine will heat your tank.

4. bleed your tank of water built up by condensation.

DeVo
11-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks Bill. Great tips! Ill have to get my hands on a metal tank.

4theluvofgold
11-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Get a soda/beer canister for a tank. Easily adaptable fittings, and made food grade so very clean. Extra capacity as well helps out.

fineswme
11-08-2012, 10:29 AM
4theluv , what kind of beer canister would work for a reserve tank ???

Would adding a an inline filter help in addressing the moisture/condensation issue ???

Wes

4theluvofgold
11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
The kind I speak of are the original premix containers/kegs.

http://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/keg.jpg

the metal can be placed by the exhaust no problem in the center to keep it warm and avoid freeze up like Bill suggested.

In line filters are a must cause when you see how filthy they get you will wonder why you never used one.

4theluvofgold
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
one more note, the removable top makes it easier for cleaning (Just don't lose your o-rings), and when you disconnect it doesn't just lose pressure either.