View Full Version : eye candy in the off season!

carter
11-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Found these pictures on kids camera, didnt have the fever then as now!I look at the photos with a totally diff. view now!! 2 yrs. earlier this bed rock was totally covered level with gravel!!No joke. How many yrs. ya think it took the water to carve the rounded slot? There is another one up stream. Quartz everywhere & pyrite. Truely a 100yr. flood, 5 miles of bedrock, pools, ect.I think it is time to do a prospecting trip here and pack the 3" dredge in!

hybanker
11-11-2012, 11:40 AM
awsome pic's carter would not mind going there and playing in the water a little myself .... Edy

carter
11-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanx,
I might kick around organizing a group to play their for a couple of days.(if any of you are interested, would like to meet some of you)This is a tributary of the Healy river,here in Healy. The exciting thing here is it has never been touched, especially after these pictures!Not much history of the healy drainage for gold but i have seen nice pickers for myself.

awsome pic's carter would not mind going there and playing in the water a little myself .... Edy

geowizard
11-13-2012, 06:03 AM
carter,

Nice photos!

With reference to the rock with the close-ups of cubic mineralization;

You have an UNUSUAL form of cubic mineral. The usual habit of iron pyrite, for example, is to break in a cubic fashion. You have a mineral that appears to be cubic - yet malleable. The most common form would be Chalco-pyrite. But the sample you have would be very high in copper to show the level of malleability seen in the close-ups. The reddish color is distinctive. A few Platinum Group Metals (PGM's) have that coloration. Rare earth elements are always worth speculation too. There are a few gold mines around Healy. You may have discovered something more important. My advice would be to get that rock analyzed at UAF.

- Geowizard

shaftsinkerawc
11-13-2012, 09:54 AM
What are you seeing as signs of malleability?

carter
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Malleable, Oh I love that word,
Sure looks like fools gold to me, this rock is a light green. (soapstone color)We took a water break at a rock at least twice the size of the one Jake is standing on and it had this fools gold all over in it too, but it was a really dark color almost black.Thanx for the suggestion about UAF

carter,

Nice photos!

With reference to the rock with the close-ups of cubic mineralization;

You have an UNUSUAL form of cubic mineral. The usual habit of iron pyrite, for example, is to break in a cubic fashion. You have a mineral that appears to be cubic - yet malleable. The most common form would be Chalco-pyrite. But the sample you have would be very high in copper to show the level of malleability seen in the close-ups. The reddish color is distinctive. A few Platinum Group Metals (PGM's) have that coloration. Rare earth elements are always worth speculation too. There are a few gold mines around Healy. You may have discovered something more important. My advice would be to get that rock analyzed at UAF.

- Geowizard

geowizard
11-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Image 2 shows flattening of the cube. Enlarging the image causes pixelation - making it impossible to determine.

- Geowizard

Geo Jim
11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Great photos! I specially like the rounded slot shot.

The rounded slot is an eroded out very deep pothole. Potholes can be sloping and not vertical. Potholes only occur in very fast water conditions, especially near water falls. So the side half of the pothole has been removed by more erosion. Cool picture!
Geo Jim

IdahoHick
11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I think you may have this variation of Corrundum, kinda like a saphire or Garnet. http://www.mindat.org/photo-137312.html