View Full Version : SD2200d or TDI SL or Infinium

N2Au
11-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Seeking advise or opinions...
I live in Idaho, so most of my detecting is in Id, with occasional trips to Nev, or Oregon...
I have a GBII, a MXT Pro, and a SD 2200d .. I enjoy using the GB and the MXT, but because the SD is a little more complicated, heavy , I tend to use the GB and the MXT most of the time. But I do like having a PI machine for those times when it's needed...
My question is, how does the old SD 2200d compare to the new TDI SL or the Infinity for ease of operation or performance ?
Should I trade up ?

Steve Herschbach
11-16-2012, 04:59 PM
The SD2200D is a more powerful detector than the TDI SL or Infinium and the good part is you already own it. Having used all three I do not believe it is any harder to operate either. If you are using a properly set up harness the weight is not really an issue.

SD2200 Recommended Settings for Beginners - Channel to Both, Threshold barely audible, Audio to N (Normal), Tone to whatever suits the ear, Iron Discrimination to All Metal. Run Balance Mode in Tracking over representative ground that contains no trash for a couple minutes, then switch to Fixed (Recommended to "search" in Fixed.). The Level Adjust has no effect with both the Tracking off and Discrimination off. I recommend you never use the discrimination. If Balance Mode is set to Tracking, turning Level Adjust to the left makes the ground tracking more aggressive for highly variable mineralization, but at more risk of tuning out gold. Turning Level Adjust to the right (clockwise) will make the ground balancing less aggressive, with less risk of gold being tracked out, but more ground noise may be introduced.

N2Au
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for those comments Steve...
For my other detectors, I have (and understand the value of) multiple coils...
For the SD 2200 , I only have the original coil... Should I get a 2nd coil for it ?
Also, what about those add-on external amplifiers, do they provide useful result ?

Steve Herschbach
11-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Well, the detector will find gold as is. A larger coil might help in finding larger, deeper gold. The SD series did benefit from amplifier setups due to a weak audio output. But the key is to learn the unit and go use it. "A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

N2Au
11-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Steve, I really appreciate your help on this topic...
.. and perhaps this thread is as much about confidence as it is about equipment.
I have a good relationship with my VLF detectors (GBII & MXT), I respect their capabilities, and generally understand what they are telling me...
I would like to have the same feeling for/with a PI detector. I will take your advise, ...that the SD is a capable machine, and I will just keep working with it to understand what it is telling me...
(I have placed an order with AMDS for a new signal amp... to try to get a little more differentiation between "faint positives" and the SD's "yodeling" threshold..
Thanks again for your help