View Full Version : ITs Chiily time again

auminesweeper
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I have been preparing my self ready for the cold snap and buying the right gear to ignor the cold So I was just wondering what you folks do in the Land where the serious cold Lives,

I'm starting this thread so we can share ideas and learn something but also coz I've always been nuts about Alaska and also any part of the cold US of A along with the Country of the Far North ( Canada )

so please jump in and share you experiences

Blessin's and thanks, John

hybanker
11-19-2012, 06:50 PM
bunny boots a must have for cold weather gear, I've had a few times that I've stepped in over the tops of my boots in water at below zero weather and had warm but wet feet even at 15 below

auminesweeper
11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
bunny boots a must have for cold weather gear, I've had a few times that I've stepped in over the tops of my boots in water at below zero weather and had warm but wet feet even at 15 below
Thanks hybanker,where do you find those bunny boots, Because warm winter footwear in the UK is not only hard to find but when it gets here they replace the Dollar sign with the pound sign or they just rip your wallet to shreads, IE one store is charging 1399.00 /$2224.41c for the Canada Goose Expedition Parka, but as I said some just change the Dollar sign to Pounds, and as for boot they are really hard to find,

I Like the cold, but I was wondering if those boots kept your feet warm even when your feet were wet would I be right in guessing that they have some kind of super synthetic lining in then??

thanks again, John

hybanker
11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
super synthetic...no but one great boot, we have a few places to get them 1. would be the army navy store on 5th ave in anchorage I do believe they have a web site I will look into that for you and I believe there's a store in fairbanks the only problem is that they quit making them for awhile and the only ones around are used but still worth having... there is or was a place in wasilla that sells them also they generaly sell for around 75.00 dollars us .... can help in getting you some, they are a rubber boot on the outside with an air chamber between the inner and outer portion which helps to keep your feet warm...I'm on my 3rd pair in about 35 years of wearing them of course thats because they are only worn in real cold weather I do believe they are rated for 85 below but I see a lot of people wearing them at 20 above hope this helps...Edy

carter
11-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Yes, the bunny boot is the best you can find!! inner/outer is rubber and layered between those are layers of wool/felt insulation. You will never hurt this insulation with sweat/water, no liners or insoles to absorb water.There are alot of "off" brand ones so you need to get the BATA brand. These are the original ones that were us issue.Some look just like the bata except for the soles. BATA heels will have 3 tread grooves across the heel, completely straight grooves. Others will be zigzag pattern. BATA emblem is glued on 1 inch in front of the heel on sole.Come in narrow,regular,wide,&xtrawide.The size/width tag is on the back above heel.Badger Trading Post (907) 488-2897 they are by Fairbanks Alaska, used but in excellent shape. good luck

carter
11-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Just looked it up on ebay, tons of them on their, the black bata boots arent as warm as the white ones either. Ive personally worn them at -45F in Alaska at my work place, and they are all torn up from 22yrs of service!!!

Yes, the bunny boot is the best you can find!! inner/outer is rubber and layered between those are layers of wool/felt insulation. You will never hurt this insulation with sweat/water, no liners or insoles to absorb water.There are alot of "off" brand ones so you need to get the BATA brand. These are the original ones that were us issue.Some look just like the bata except for the soles. BATA heels will have 3 tread grooves across the heel, completely straight grooves. Others will be zigzag pattern. BATA emblem is glued on 1 inch in front of the heel on sole.Come in narrow,regular,wide,&xtrawide.The size/width tag is on the back above heel.Badger Trading Post (907) 488-2897 they are by Fairbanks Alaska, used but in excellent shape. good luck

auminesweeper
11-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Thankyou hybanker for your efforts on this topic because as I said I like the cold weather because of the lack off rain and plus I like the snow, I did look up the cost of a pair of Baffin endurance boots but because the change the Dollar sign instead of $249.00 they end up at $395.91c so their off my wish list, But those bunny boot sound like just the ticket, and thanks again for looking into them for me.

john

auminesweeper
11-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Carter thankyou for all the info on getting the best versions of these because I do like to get it right, A few years ago I bought an Alpha N=3B parka but it is the Alaska version which is very waterproof and it has a great hood system but then I found CG Parkas and again over here the cost is just not nice, anyway I had a bit of luck because a genuine retailer was selling the last of his stock and I managed to the CG Peace Keeper Snow Mantra for 475.00 / $764.00 which is a great price, I've never seen a coat with so many Pockets,

Could you tell me how high these bunny boots come up your calf?

what do you guys call a Cold day temp wise that is, around here it goes to about -13c at the worst but up north it onlt gets down to about -25 on a cold day,

and how does these cold temps affect your daily lives.

Blessin's to all, John

Steve Herschbach
11-20-2012, 05:57 AM
1F in Anchorage right now. -17C. Not that cold by Alaska standards but chilly enough.

The day the ground freezes my metal detecting and prospecting ends for the year and I am just working and biding my time until spring.

auminesweeper
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Steve, I did'nt realize that you guys had it so tough, I feel like a wimp ( oh the Shame )

I now understand why the Pioneers had such a tough time, In OZ In the bush I would know what to do, but the two life styles are as far apart as the countries them selves. Although out in OZ it is a very hot etc, with your weather it controls your right to earn a living, freedom and the fact you have to prepare food supplies firewood and all of the things that I dont know exsist,
even how you prepare your Trucks in winter is totally different to OZ and the UK, In the past 4 or 5 years here in the UK 2-3 inches of snow has bought the country to a stand still, just because people dont know how to drive in it, as for me I like driving in the snow and I'm always towing folks out when there stuck just to pass the time, yet to you Guys thats as common as opening the car door,

along with all of the above you have weeks of darkness and them you get the midnight Sun, I have so many questions in my head but I could never learn in this topic what you guys have spent a lifetime learning, which makes the term Green horn so right, because even if I lived in a town there that would be a learning curve just to get out the front door,

Thankyou all for your input coz this is a great topic to kick around, john

hybanker
11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
John if you have the time and would like to see a good vid go to youtube and search dredging crow creek Ak. you will find a good vid of Steve dredging... it will give you a good view of a true alaskan miner I believe it was about 1996....[hope you don't mind Steve] and make sure you have a hot cup of coffee in hand while watching....

Steve Herschbach
11-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I feel like a wimp these days. I used to be tough - now I do not want to go outside until April!

Walt_Anchorage
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Those of us in Anchorage have it easy compared to Fairbanks. We are only looking at a low around zero to -10 tonight. Their forecast is for minus 35 f tonight and tomorrow night. That's -37 C (if I did my math right). It's that time of your I start asking myself, "Why do I live here?"

Reno Chris
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
That is cold! It was about 60 degrees and breezy here in Reno Today, supposed to hit 42 above tonight here. Lots to be said for the snowbird lifestyle.

auminesweeper
11-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks Edy, I will do a search for that asap, the Java is on the stove,

Walt, Its 8*c here, thats hot enough they can film Bay Wacth here compared to what you Guys are having,
What kind of heating systems do you use to heat your homes, do you have what we call central heating over here with hot water plumbed into Radiators, Or do you use a heat blower system, or are Log Fires / Wood burning stoves better ??.

Steve I lasted for about 6 minates in a friends walk in freezer till I had to grab my fleece 3 nights I had to work in there, its crazy what a man has to do to earn a Dollar yet in AK -17c would be a warm snap,

G'Day Chris, about now it must be cool enough for you to venture out in the Desert to do some Prospecting is'nt it ?.

Thanks again John

Steve Herschbach
11-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi John,

Life here in Anchorage is very much not life for Alaska as a whole. We are kind of like a suburb of Seattle with anything any small city would have. My house has hot water baseboard heating but furnace forced air systems are also very common. Most houses are on natural gas.

I go out to my heated garage in the morning and drive to work. Work inside all day, then go out to my cold truck to go home. That 10 minutes until my truck warms up is as cold as I get all day and if I had half a brain like most of the people I work with I would get a remote start for my truck so it was warm before I got in it.

Bush Alaska is the "real Alaska" where wood stoves are more common and even sewers are not a given in the 21st century. Time was I lived that lifestyle but I long since decided I am a city boy except for a few weeks here and there roughing it. I admire the folks living off the grid but I like having my Costco and iMax movie screen nearby.

Hard to believe I used to work at Atigun Pass in the middle of winter at 50F below!

Reno Chris
11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
G'Day Chris, about now it must be cool enough for you to venture out in the Desert to do some Prospecting is'nt it ?.

Its decent enough weather, but I've been home taking care of family related stuff.

auminesweeper
11-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Wow Steve, Atigun Pass thats on the Haul Road ( Dalton Highway ) is'nt it, That place can make a person feel cold just watching it on TV.

What did you wear to keep warm, It's not like theres many places to get out of the elements, and theres not much shelter between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay,

Steve I had a brain wave a couple of years back because I fitted power inverters in my truck/s I fitted a timer (the plug in type) on the socket on the inverter, then I got a green house / glass house heater they consume about from 12 watts to 300 watts depending on the size of the one you buy and I set it to come on about 1 or 2 hours before I go out to my truck and that really makes a differance and it keeps the Ice off the windshield, then I just turn it off when I'm on the move, they are like a two and a 1/4 inch tube from about 12" up to about 5ft long, At one time I use to put it under the hood but it was too much trouble taking it in and out all the time, I should of hard wired it in there,come to think of it, But you can fit them under the Dash or under the seat, either way its better than getting into a cold Truck,

Steve I hope you dont mind but this is the type of thing I was talking about and if I have done wrong please remove the link,
I just did'nt know if you have them over there, these are 240 volt but I think you can get them in 110 volt over here too, Some places even sell stainless steel versions of them, I fitted mine to a board so i could quickly remove it also to raise it up the carpet and velcro on the underside of the board stops it from sliding around,

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HETH451.html

Hi Chris, I hear ya buddy we've all been there, So much to do so little time, thats why we enjoy getting away when ever we can. Hope you get your chance soon.

Thanks again, John

shaftsinkerawc
11-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Steve, the memories bring the goosebumps back but it sure was easier to pay the bills then. You just didn't have any time to play with all the new toys because you worked all the time. What time frame were you up there. I got to work the by-pass in '91?

Steve Herschbach
11-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Early 80's, I was a surveyor, instrument man at the time.

auminesweeper
11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey Edy, I checked out that Video and I did'nt expect Steve to go under water, and when I saw the Ice on the cabin I thought OH DEAR, that is a tough way to earn a Dollar thats for sure.

Steve that is a lot of gear to carry in, let alone build a cabin, how far was your truck from there??
truely impressive from any perspective thanks Steve

And thanks to you Edy for the Link

John

Steve Herschbach
11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
My truck was parked next to the cabin and I did not build it. The dredge though got packed into that canyon and back out on my back.

auminesweeper
11-23-2012, 06:29 PM
It looks like all I had pictured it, except the bit about getting in the water,

Steve you must of had heating in the cabin, but what sleeping bags did you use, and what was life like in the cabin,

thanks again John

hybanker
11-23-2012, 06:36 PM
You are welcome John...bet that coffee felt good in your hands while watching...Edy

auminesweeper
11-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Edy I'm on my third cup and I could do with a refill, Edy have you ever been out there prospecting/Dredging in the cold like that, at first I thought surely he going to a mine but no that was just pure hard core propecting in the true spirit of days gone buy

thanks for the tip about the coffee, I would'nt of survived without it,

Blessins John

hybanker
11-24-2012, 01:11 AM
hey john tried it back in the early 80's and found it was a little on the rough side...have been up here since 74 and have found warmer ways to mine in the winter...mostly with a warm cup of coffee in hand , what type of operation do you have going? How many months out of the year do you operate? Edy

Steve Herschbach
11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
The guy who shot the video was supposed to be with me using his own dredge for the expedition. We had firewood laid in for a barrel stove in the cabin. The snow and cold hit early and he pulled out. I decided dealing with the cold in the morning and night would take about as much time as just commuting from Anchorage every day. Warm shower and bed every night versus camping out alone.

auminesweeper
11-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Edy, The Last time i went out detecting over here I found a coin that was a long way from Home and I know you guys would love to find it, Because it is a 1888 Morgan in near perfect condition,

But because of life and its curve balls and also I cant go out detecting at pressent because my Heart is 93 to 95% sure its had enough, and they are the docs figures not mine, I am still doing what ever I want

I tried panning over here but not much luck there I did find some 18ct rings last year which I posted on here somewhere,

now I just want to get over to AK and chase a few rainbows

Blessin's John

Steve, I know what you meen, I hate being left in the lurch like that, when we ( the family ) went and bought a big 360 excavator in OZ chaseing Aluvial gold way out west, because the Pub needed them more than we did, Or some weak excuse,
happy times but tough

John