View Full Version : summers dredging tales on youtube

carter
11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
wanted to let ya'all know that i started to put this seasons videos online, if interested. I have 20-30 videos so not all are there yet. The camera is a kodak playsport, size of a cell phone. HD, SD card, underwater capable. Some zoom ins get grainy but have a look. Look up goldminer jay

AK Nugget
11-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jay! Beautiful country and great to see it's a family operation. Would love to get up there next summer!

Neal

carter
11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I watch my own videos on line and see all the shortcomings of them(not alot of the gold in videos,paning the camera to fast, ect.) This camera is the size of a cell phone and real easy to move around to fast. Getting caught up in dredging and trying to video. The video comes in 2nd most of the time. Dont know about all of you on here but for some reason the videos from "up here" seem more exciting to watch to me. Dont know why.?

fineswme
11-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Jay, your video of the trip in late spring (May) brings back an exciting memory for me ... Years ago , we went in the first of May , the back way around using the D-9 to cut drifts out of the way taking in supplies loaded in the truck ... The trip took longer than we anticipated and we found ourselves in the dark trying to make our way in about 8 miles from camp ... Never forget the truck lights shining ahead trying to make enough light for Gene to see to cut the drifts he was trying to clear in front of us ... We were on a trail/road that traverses the side of a mountain/hill when he turned the dozer perpendicular to the flow and "Down" he was going (0-60 in about 1/4 of a second) , the grousers were acting like Ice-skates ... It happened so fast , "Thank God" he had great instincts and quick reaction time to get the D-9 squared-up facing up hill to prevent continuing off into the abyss ... I could see the whites of his eyes with the truck lights when he was able to get it swung around , they were bigger than silver-dollars ... Pretty scary/exciting moment to say the least !!!

Can't wait to see the rest of the videos ...
You are fortunate to have kids who share your passion out at the claims ...

chickenminer
11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Fun to see the country where you're working. Looks like a lot of shallow and exposed
bedrock. What is the elevation? Has any of it been previously worked, either hand or mechanical?

I agree, nice to go back and watch video of your operation. Amazing the things you can notice that you would otherwise not, while busy operating.

carter
11-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanx for your interest. My claims are around 2500-2700ft. Bedrock is a fractured shist & it is 3-6ft. The upper half has been mined modern but im finding enough to keep me going with the dredges. The lower sections in the videos with red 4wheeler dont look mined, no visual proof and the boulders in part of the video are to rough to get equip down. Archives show this creek was hand mined around 1901-1908. 3800+oz. The upper half was .17oz./yd & the lower was .43oz./yd. I need to find some spots they missed!! Last yr. with the 3" in the parts that equip. worked I figured i moved a stretch of the creek that was 12yds. for the 3+ oz. I recovered. The 6" is going down where the 4 wheeler was in the videos.

carter
11-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Ya, I wondered when the Hoffmans were gonna get ice cleats on their tracks! We will put 3 sets on a d10 in a winter at the coal mine. We dont put them on the d11 carrydozer or the komatsu 475.( the cat breaks tracks with out them) At 230,000lb. and 60yd. blade it does enough damage. The carrydozers blade is cupped really deep and has twin tilt cylinders that roll the blade forward like 45 degrees. The tool bar(just the part the rippers go into weighs 16,000) for counterweight.

Jay, your video of the trip in late spring (May) brings back an exciting memory for me ... Years ago , we went in the first of May , the back way around using the D-9 to cut drifts out of the way taking in supplies loaded in the truck ... The trip took longer than we anticipated and we found ourselves in the dark trying to make our way in about 8 miles from camp ... Never forget the truck lights shining ahead trying to make enough light for Gene to see to cut the drifts he was trying to clear in front of us ... We were on a trail/road that traverses the side of a mountain/hill when he turned the dozer perpendicular to the flow and "Down" he was going (0-60 in about 1/4 of a second) , the grousers were acting like Ice-skates ... It happened so fast , "Thank God" he had great instincts and quick reaction time to get the D-9 squared-up facing up hill to prevent continuing off into the abyss ... I could see the whites of his eyes with the truck lights when he was able to get it swung around , they were bigger than silver-dollars ... Pretty scary/exciting moment to say the least !!!

Can't wait to see the rest of the videos ...
You are fortunate to have kids who share your passion out at the claims ...