View Full Version : Adapting High Banker for Beach Gold

alienbogey
11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Washington State's ocean beaches have recently re-opened to recreational gold mining and I'd like to give it a go. The gold is, of course, very very fine. The material is heavy with black sand and beach sand and has essentially no rocks at all—just pure sand.

Rather than getting a whole new beach-only setup I'd like to adapt my mini high banker for this if I can. After much research and thought I'm thinking that I'll completely remove the punch plate/expanded metal/carpet from the header box (remember, the material is pure sand), and replace the sluice section's current expanded metal/hungarian riffles/carpet with plastic mat. I hope to capture the fine gold (of course), while having a minimal amount of concentrate to clean up.

Further data:

• The sluice section measures 6.5" wide by 32" long.

• I can adjust the sluice angle by burying the front/rear legs at different heights, then adjust the angle of the infeed box.

• The best area is electric pumps only

Here are pictures of the high banker as currently configured:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/alienbogey/HighbankerInfeed.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/alienbogey/HighbankerOutfeed.jpg

Questions:

1. Do you think it will work with decent recovery?

2. Any recommendations for plastic matting? I've been looking at the Gold Hog stuff.

3. Any guesses as to how many gallons per hour it will take to run? I'm not sure if one electric pump will do it. I suppose I could run two if required.

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I've spoken to a guy who's been running material through a plastic beach box and he claims he gets 1-2 grams in three or four hours of running material. (I have no idea if that's up to Nome standards or not.)

Nikolay
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
remove all riffles and put expanded all the way down the sluice, ur grizzly looks like it will do a good job classifying

overtheedge
11-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Cover your grizzly with 1/8" hardware cloth available at most any hardware store.
Use bare heavy rubber v-rib available from any small mining supply house (AMDS handles it). This is what I run for mostly sub-millimeter size gold.
Use a 1200 GPH bilge pump. I normally run a 28GPM (1680GPH) pump with a 10" HB. 1680 x 0.65 = 1092 GPH

The gold I recover is thin flakes; beach gold should be more rounded and settle out easier. I get good recovery (90% or better) down to 80 mesh and acceptable to 100 mesh (roughly 80%). At 150 mesh it falls off pretty bad (40-50%).

Keep in mind that a 6.5 inch high-banker can't be fed very fast.

The other option is building a 10-12" beach-box out of wood. Use 1/8" hardware cloth, heavy rubber v-rib and a 2200GPH bilge pump.

Oh and you better use a separate battery rather than the one from your car else you get to walk home.
---------------------------
1.5 grams for 4 hours is almost 0.1 ounce for 8 hours. At today's spot that is about $100-120 a day. That would be good enough to keep me busy.
eric

hades2
11-28-2012, 08:05 AM
All the ocean beaches of Washington State's ?
and do you have any links to post for this?
thanks

alienbogey
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Not all Washington beaches. What's open are Pacific coast beaches, not including the Olympic National Park, Indian reservations, or Puget Sound beaches.

The change is so new that links are hard to find, but here is one that gives links to the rules, etc:

http://resourcescoalition.org

hades2
11-28-2012, 03:41 PM
thanks for the info.i got a lot from that link

Dean

alienbogey
11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I found a link to the actual rules:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/laws/wsr/2011/19/11-19-015.htm

mtn3531
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
The best area is electric pumps only, but I noticed in the regulations that other areas you can use a 5" or smaller dredge, but your sluice box can't be over 10 square feet including running a "ganged" set-up. How many people have taken advantage of the opening now to mine the beaches? A few hardy souls or quite a few? Best of luck to you on getting to take part in it

alienbogey
11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I've been getting conflicting advice now as to whether the best area is electric pumps only or not. One guy who has been-there-done-that says yes electric only, and another who has been-there-done-that says no, there are no restrictions anywhere on gas power. I've been using my best google-fu, and I can at least say that I have yet to find a rule that says electric only for any areas.

hades2
11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
i dnt see any thing in the rules about no gas power. nothing about electric only

wa-au-nut
11-29-2012, 05:09 AM
If you contact Bill Thomas at Washington Prospector and Mining asoc(WPMA). he can give you all the info. I don't know how to put up a link. I belong to the WPMA. Its a GREAT club. Bill is the Pres. of the WPMA and is with Rec. Coll. John.