View Full Version : APDES Preliminary Draft General Permit Modification

Brian Berkhahn
12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has prepared an Alaska Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (APDES) Preliminary Draft General Permit Modification.

Per 18 AAC 83.115(f), the Department is transmitting the APDES Preliminary Draft General Permit Modification and associated documents to you for a 10-day review.

Draft Permit Review Period:
Start Date: December 7, 2012
Expiration Date: December 20, 2012

Permit:
Name: Medium-Size Suction Dredge Placer Miners General Permit
No.: AKG371000
Facilities: Suction dredges with intake diameters greater than six inches and less than or equal to ten inches
Coverage: Statewide, with certain limitations

Tentative Determination:
DEC has tentatively determined to modify AKG371000 to 1) allow under-ice operation in water depths less than or equal to 30 feet; 2) allow use of motorized equipment to remove in-stream obstructions for safety concerns; and 3) remove the 800 ft. separation distance requirement in marine waters. Specific conditions under which pollutants may discharged are detailed in the permit and further explained in fact sheet.

Permit documents can also be accessed from the ADEC Wastewater Discharge Authorization website under the Public Notice section.

Written comments can be submitted via email to: nicholas.dallman@alaska.gov
Or by mail to:
Nick Dallman
Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
Wastewater Discharge Authorization Program
610 University Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99709

For questions, please call Nick Dallman at 907-451-2142

james a.
12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
For a 4in dredge,I got a permit online.I live on the north west coast.I sent it to anchorage.They sent it to fairbanks.I live closer to nome.Haveing a tough time trying to let that go through with just a 4in dredge.I see more dirt coming off the banks from the wake of boats,than I do with that litle dredge.

Brian Berkhahn
12-18-2012, 06:56 PM
This is for the Medium size suction dredge permit which is 6" to 10" dredges. I personally think these are excellent steps forward to downsizing the permit. We at AMA had a great meeting today with DEC & DNR, come to find out the under ice dredging allowance is only for DNR leases and mining claims. It is not allowed in the rec area's due to safety & liability reasons. The depth limit is only for the winter under ice mining.. there is no limitation during the summer time except the Army Corp has a 20ft limit but will issue individual permits.

This permit will totally end in 2 years giving the DEC a chance to make more serious changes from the current one written by the EPA. We have 2 years to help educate the DEC on the truth about suction dredging and show them the stupidity of some of the regulations written by a greenie who sits behind a desk. Nice thing is the DEC (Nic & Allen) are very willing to listen and learn. Of course all revisions will have to be run past the EPA as they are still pulling the strings but atleast the DEC will be educated and can argue our arguement for us.

james a.
12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
That is most wonderfull news!Keep up the good fight.Some of us litle sheep here have no say.

shaftsinkerawc
12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Brian, thanks to you & others & AMA for all your efforts in dealing with these issues and keeping us informed! Have a Merry CHRISTmas & Happy New Year!!!

Steve Herschbach
12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
That is most wonderfull news!Keep up the good fight.Some of us litle sheep here have no say.

Everyone has a say via public comment.

Brian Berkhahn
12-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone.. all comments good or bad are requested.. if you feel that Nic is on the right track then I encourage you to let him know, after all.. how often is it you can tell a government agent that? At our meeting I gave DEC and the DNR great kudo's for the track they're on.

This next spring the DEC is talking about doing a "workshop" up in Fairbanks and possibly here in Anchorage where miners can learn what it is that the DEC does out in the field.. I will definately check that out.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!