View Full Version : Interesting New Buckshot Load

Marshall/Ak
12-14-2012, 07:37 PM
From time to time someone has a post on here about using a gun for bear protection while out prospecting. Invariably someone will respond with something like "I use a 12ga with OO-Buckshot" (double-ought) OO-buck is extremely common and old-school, but it is not the last and final word in buckshot. You can also easily buy OOO-buck (triple-ought), which is quite a bit larger and heavier, each round contains more weight of lead in it even though it has one less pellet than OO-buck loads. (Sportsmans Warehouse has'em)

Now there is a company making OOOO-buck (quadruple-ought buck), which I believe to be the largest buckshot load in production today. Each pellet is .375" diameter, and weighs in at 78grs each. It is in 12ga only and consists of 8 pellets in a 2 3/4" shell. Would it be more effective than OO-buck? Oh yeah...I would imagine so!
http://wolfhilltradingco.com/12-gauge-ultrabuck-magnum-0000-buckshot-2-34-10-rounds/

Where can you buy it? I don't know...probably have to have it ordered via your fav gunstore. Doesn't look like it costs any more than any other standard buckshot load. (about $1 per shell)

Me? I'm just tossing this out there for ya'll to hash over....I'm still gonna use slugs!

waveaction
12-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the information and website. I too like the slugs but perhaps the 0000 could be the 1st round followed by a slug, or slug first followed by the 0000.

overtheedge
12-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Though I'm a fan of slugs too, this has me thinking about how I shouldn't have sold my short barrel Fox B. Slug in one barrel, 4 ought in the other. Let fly with both at the same time. Wonder if they still sell that Italian made coach gun in 12 ga? Sure it would hurt a bit, but have you ever shot a Ruger #3 in 45-70 with 500 grain reloads?
eric

james a.
12-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Bears are really not too much of a threat.Sure they have stolen fish from my fish rack,busted in my cabin.Only one charged out of many I have seen in the summertime.I think I am more afraid of people then I am of bears.
Still good to have backup,but nothin major.I have finished off moose an bear with a 22.