View Full Version : Tonsina River gold assay

overtheedge
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Got assay back from Doral Corp.
The percentage of gold is 82.3 with 17.3% silver. Roughly 20 carat.

Too bad it is awful lean diggings.
eric

shaftsinkerawc
12-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I collected lots of black sands when I was working down that way but no Au. Hoping to have time to put the magnetics under the microscope this winter. Rumor of a spot on the river that has some guys working it every year, I didn't get a chance to float/check out that section. Did you have a pan con assay or just your Au?

overtheedge
12-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Just the cleaned gold.

If you are talking about someone working the Tonsina every year, it is probably me. Once in a while, a friend asks to come along in high hopes of making serious money. That usually lasts not much longer than a couple hours.

I can usually make day wages if we are talking minimum wage for 1990 and I put in a full day. But I gotta hustle to do it.

If a deposit is large enough to get a couple three weeks work, it has to be worked with a highbanker or starve. The scarcer deposits that pay well with a pan only last a few days.

Either way, a person gets a lot of experience sampling with a pan. A really bad day still puts about $5 in the snuffer at $1650/ozt. With no expenses and nothing better to do than tend the garden, I'll gladly pan all day long. Though at -37F last night, maybe I should have spent some of that sampling time cutting and hauling firewood? Nah, got all winter to cut firewood. Garden dead and river is too hard.
eric

shaftsinkerawc
12-21-2012, 07:41 AM
My contact said that he see's a group at the same spot on the river every year. He probably floats it a couple of time a week. I may have the wrong river though? Might of been the Tazlina? Lots of names down there pretty similar.

Marshall/Ak
12-22-2012, 11:35 AM
There is another Tonsina Creek down this way (Seward) that has gold, but is also mighty lean pickings from what I hear. It's within Kenai Fjords National Park boundry, so not much can be done there anymore, except perhaps panning.

ManVSgold
12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info Edge!