View Full Version : Working Underwater in California this Year

49er Mike
01-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Guess I am coming to California this summer! Talk about a Happy New Year!
Check out this idea that was just sent to me:

"Looking closer at the California regulations, there does remain a
way for us to go down along the bottom of California's waterways
and suction up the shallower, higher-grade gravels. This is because,
as defined by DFG's own formal regulations, as long as we remove
the sluice box from our motorized suction system, we are not operating
a "suction dredge." Said another way, there is an opportunity to use
a motorized suction system to transfer high-grade gravel from one
place in the river or creek to another location where the gravel
can be more-easily processed in a separate system."

Dave Mack has outlined the initial concept right here:

http://www.goldgold.com/underwater-suction-gravel-transfer-systems.html

This new idea will allow us access to submerged gold deposits that
otherwise would be out of our reach until the "dredge" moratorium
is lifted in California.

How's that for good news?

All the best,
49er Mike

Brian Berkhahn
01-01-2013, 11:09 AM
That's great news.. as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Cal_Gold_Dredger
01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I ran a "sluiceless" set up all last summer but it will most likely catch the CDFG attention now for sure as the fun fun club publishes it on the web and sends the hoards of members roadside on the Klamath for all to see. Oh well it was good while it lasted. So much for keeping things quiet.

flintgreasewood
01-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Another idea. I built a water pressure operated 2 stage jig that could be placed below a sloping screen[with a rubber flap at the head to settle the force of the suction hose output] that would separate off all but, say 3/8" fines. Those fines would be caught in a reverse sloping pan that feeds the jig. The whole setup could easily fit in to the space a typical sluice box would sit.

flintgreasewood
01-01-2013, 06:33 PM
PS. You can see my jig in operation[on my trommel, not on a floating suction system] on You tube. Go to Eureka Gold Thief.

Cal_Gold_Dredger
01-01-2013, 10:05 PM
A jig would be a great option! but the floatation for such a heavy item???

49er Mike
01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Here is an email response from the DFG by a prospector "John".

John

There is no specific permit required and no seasonal restrictions. Since this is not suction dredging, neither the moratorium or our adopted regulatons for suction dredging apply. It's essentially a loophole in existing law. However, as McCracken notes, Fish and Game Code section 1602 could apply if the streambed alteration is substantial, that is, you create a big hole. My guess is that such a system will be less efficient, and less excavation will occur, than if you were using a suction dredge since there is no sluice box and miners will need to use some other system to sort through the material.

Mark Stopher
Habitat Conservation Program Manager
California Department of Fish and Game
601 Locust Street
Redding, CA 96001

voice 530.225.2275
fax 530.225.2391
cell 530.945.1344

Cal_Gold_Dredger
01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Mike that looks very familar to the word just like my communications with Mark. Only shared it with Hoser..... hmmmm

I was told with a sluiceless set up there would be no restrictions on season or hose size and no regulations, no permits, current mortorium does't apply. Wild & senic will still be off limits and you must abide by Lake and Streambed Alteration Program 1602. So lets get out there and have at it before it is changed. - John

flintgreasewood
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Cal_Gold_Dredger
Don't know if you checked out my video, but you would see that my trommel and Jig are made of HDPE plastic. It is relatively light weight, though the ragging in the jig pans adds a good bit of weight. Still it's not a very heavy setup. My jig is up in Alaska right now so I can't weigh it but I'm guessing it at about 60lbs.

outnaboutnak
01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Flint, Do you have any pictures of your jig setup?

flintgreasewood
01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Outnabout,
The only "pictures" is the Youtube video...Eureka Gold Thief. Check it out.

Ogatha
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I ran a "sluiceless" set up all last summer but it will most likely catch the CDFG attention now for sure as the fun fun club publishes it on the web and sends the hoards of members roadside on the Klamath for all to see. Oh well it was good while it lasted. So much for keeping things quiet.
I will not be at the Klamath rather offshoot of the Trinity but would be very interested in anything you've learned that you'd care to share RE: your sluiceless op.