View Full Version : Dive compressor

tooldog
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi all,
I'm wanting air for this year, and am wondering if anyone has tried the Keene KAC1 compressor. The T80 won't put out enough air for two so it's off my list. The KAC1 looks light....not wanting to add weight. The little info I found on the unit seemed to be about the original one which was apt to break down in the field. It seems Keene has fixed the issues though.
Any thoughts?

Steve Herschbach
01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
My new dredge is coming with a 263. I wanted more air than a T80 would put out but frankly can't afford to test new stuff. What is a little weight when we are talking about the air you are actually going to breath for hours a day?

Brian Berkhahn
01-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Gotta agree, if you want more air then go with a 263.. it's been tried and true. Best way I found to regulate the air in a 263 so the pop off valve doesn't sound like a machine gun going off is to use an inline air filter and crack the drain just a hair.. also keeps the excess moisture out of the line. It'll put out alot more air then you can use.. which is a good thing. What's a little more weight when it comes to your life.

minerdude
01-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Do you have 2 motors? What size dredge? If you are in shallow water you can dive with 2 on 1 -T-80 as long as both of you do not smoke. If you are both comfortable in the water there should not be any problem. You need to install a splitter with 2 air filters and each person has their own reserve tank.We have done this in the past and it can work. The 263 is great as long as hooked up tp a 8hp or better. KAC1 too many problems for my tatse.I do not know too many we dredge with that has one.

Steve Herschbach
01-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Why do you say 8hp or better for 263? It can be had stock on dredges with twin 5.5hp pumps.

GoldGrabber68
01-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Plenty of 4" Prolines running 6.5hp & 263 Compressors!

See Reed Lukens videos on U tube, i know he is very happy with his proline 4".

Rod

swan
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Proline sells the PCA10 is this basically same as a 263 ? i need to upgrade my air !!!

Steve Herschbach
01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
PCA10 is a 263 - same exact units.

swan
01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
thanks Steve ! i have twin gx200s so im going to try a 263

james a.
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Awsome knowledge of stuff here.How we gunna learn or me when this forum is done?
I was thinkin of 2 people on my 4in proline.
But it only has a 4.8 horse with a t80 com.I thought that was strong enough,but upgrade does`nt heart either.

tooldog
01-25-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm using an old school Dahlke 4" A-series with a DP125 pump and an ancient Briggs 3 hp that just wont quit. Believe it or not, it has more than adequate suction power at about 75% throttle. I'm not sure about the physics of adding compressors to the mix, but I'm assuming suction power will be robbed. I don't want to run full throttle, so I figured that KAC1 unit may fit my needs. Maybe someone here can point me towards some reading on the subject? I don't think I can run a 263 with this system. When the opportunity presents itself I will get a bigger machine, but for now the Dahlke is a beauty for my sampling program, and it's bearable packing it in to some of my spots.

Steve Herschbach
01-26-2013, 06:50 AM
If I had to choose between a T80 and KAC1 I would get the T80 myself. Just my opinion.

Honestly, the best reading you are going to find on the subject is here. What's your question?

I own a 4" Dahlke but it has a Dahkle compressor on it. Great little dredges. Too bad they are so hard to get.

tooldog
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
My question, I suppose is how much power would be robbed from my system by adding a T80 vs. a KAC1 vs. a Gast 263? If I am running at 75% throttle now, how much more throttle would be needed after adding a compressor?
Maybe the T80 is my only option, but I was hoping to make it somewhat comfortable for two divers....I suppose my rock chucker may have to just hold his breath lol.

DavidRamey
01-26-2013, 05:52 PM
I thought a rock chucker was a reloading press

Steve Herschbach
01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
The thing is you can turn a T-80 (Thomas 80AX33) or a 263 (Gast PCA-10) over with a finger. The horsepower requirement goes up with the PSI you try and develop. If I take a T-80 and put my finger over the outlet, I can turn it over by hand and feel the pressure build. The more pressure, the harder it gets to turn. So it boils down to where the pop off valve is set with either unit. To reach a normal 50 PSI with a T80 the nominal HP requirement is 1/3HP and to hit 100PSI with a 263 you have a nominal HP requirement of 1.7HP. See spec sheets below.

Developing air PSI with a compressor is just like developing water PSI with a water pump. The deeper you want to go with air, the more horsepower you need, and the more volume you want, the more horsepower. The higher you want to pump water, the more horsepower you need, and the more volume you want to pump, the more horsepower you need.

I am saying all this to illustrate that a 263 set for 50 PSI will take little more HP than a T-80. It all depends where you set the max PSI.

Thomas 80AX33 (T-80) http://www.guasheng.com/cbox/thomas/107cx18%20917cx18%2080ax33.pdf

Gast PCA-10 (263) http://www.gastmfg.com/support_documents/RTD205rB.pdf

The Keene KAC1 is not magic. To get X PSI and volume will take X horsepower with it also. Its claim to fame is it is a single piston compressor turning at a higher RPM trying to put out what a 263 with two pistons does at a lower RPM. Guess which is a longer life situation?

IdahoHick
01-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Steve I'm glad you gave this insight, I know where my hard earned money will be spent.

tooldog
01-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks Steve, With the limited HP in my system I guess I'll try to find a T80 for this season and a reserve tank and whatever else needs to be added and go from there.The main area I'll be poking around in seems to show bedrock between 3 and 5 1/2 feet.
I'll do some more research to make sure everything will work properly. I don't know if the pump has ever been removed from the motor.
Everyone who I prospect with has factory made systems...I'll need to take a closer look at their machines to see how it all gets put together. I believe there is some sort of special hose and connection that has to be installed somewhere for heat issues? I wonder if there is a supplier out there somewhere who would sell a "complete" kit including reserve tank and breathing lines/regulator for a decent price?

tooldog
01-27-2013, 11:33 AM
I found an awesome "rock chucker". Strong like Bull.....Smart like Chicken. Anything too big for the two of us gets to meet a lewis winch.

Steve Herschbach
01-27-2013, 12:44 PM
I believe there is some sort of special hose and connection that has to be installed somewhere for heat issues? I wonder if there is a supplier out there somewhere who would sell a "complete" kit including reserve tank and breathing lines/regulator for a decent price?

http://www.akmining.com/diving.htm

tooldog
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
http://www.akmining.com/diving.htm

Thanks Steve, but the shipping to BC would probably be atrocious.