View Full Version : small dam

flintgreasewood
01-22-2013, 09:41 PM
This coming season I'll be needing more water than the flow in my little creek can supply for my underground thawing operation. My plan is to build a small dam to impound the creek. There are no fish, the normal flow can't be more than 1 cu. ft/sec. and its contribution to the main channel down valley is hardly significant. Will I likely have a problem getting the DNR to sign off on my plan?

Fishwhacker
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
No one here can say. Contact DNR.

flintgreasewood
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Just talked to DNR. It's a pretty simple APMA ammendment in a situation like mine. The engineering dept. may require a more sophisticated design than I might normally build...we'll see.

geowizard
01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
You can apply for a TWUP (Temporary Water Use Permit). Dig a depression for a pond. The water flows in and flows out. No Dam needed. The pond provides a reservoir for bulk water storage.

- Geowizard

Walt_Anchorage
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Get a beaver. No damn permit needed.

chickenminer
01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
No damn permit needed.

Talk about a double entendre!

Too funny Walt :)

flintgreasewood
01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Ok, I contacted DNR, got forms and info about dams and found out that what I propose is too small to be of any interest to anyone but me...nice! There are several criteria that must be found in your dam to make it regulatable [did I just coin a word?] Either it has to be no less than 10' high and create a reservoir with a storage capacity of 50 acre feet. Or it is at least 20' high. Or it poses a threat to lives and property. My dam would meet none of these criteria. One less thing to worry about.
I like your idea, Chuck, but for me digging a pit will be much more difficult than erecting a 5' high dam[my only equipment is my shovel, a wheelbarrow and a jack hammer]. The stream gradient is so slight that I can impound a good bit of water with a 5' dam. Some might ask how wide is this 5' dam going to have to be to effectively impound any water. Well, there just happens to be place near my operation that the stream cuts between a mound about 12' in height and a steep edge of the valley bank. So the span will be approximately 25' at the top of the structure.

james a.
01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Would a small dredge work to start making a pit,an then use the tailings to block the lower section of stream?
May hafto find a way to keep the water from eroding the tailings when the water has more force.Loose tailings-Deeper water.
May work,would hafto do something to reinforce the tailings.

flintgreasewood
01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
James,
I just don't have enough water to even begin dredging, not to mention all my dredge equipment is here in Colorado. But thanks for sharing your idea.

IdahoHick
01-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Question...If you built a dam twenty five feet wide and five feet tall, how far would it back up behind it? and all that water over frozen ground would it thaw the permafrost under the pond? How far down if contained over that area for a summer season? Also if this dam is close to the shaft could you possibly have a mud slurry and small pond make an entrance to the shaft and mining area Via.... Surprise! 40 thousand gallons of muck just shot into my mine....I am probably off target on this but thinking outside the Vault.

flintgreasewood
01-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Vance,
The shaft is about 200' from the Vault Creek channel. I haven't done any real calculations but I don't expect to contain even an acre foot of water behind the dam. I'll make sure I keep the height of the dam to a safe level so as not to back up more water than I need. Remember, this creek is barely a trickle. I'm also high enough in the valley that even should a heavy rain swell the creek, it's probably not going to be so significant as to wash out the dam. I say that with a little reservation. I did build a dam on Babe Creek my first summer up there, my first attempt, so I didn't really know how to do it right. When I returned the following summer I found it had been washed out. But, Babe does have about twice the volume as upper Vault.

IdahoHick
01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Should be no water problem at all then. So you would have 1 Dam,1Holding pond for fine tailing sand, and an additional 1Sump catchment area. Or am a I thinking wrong? "V"

flintgreasewood
01-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Vance,
you nailed it!