View Full Version : Light-Weight Underwater Trommel or Vibrating Grizzly Shaker

fineswme
01-28-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm in the designing stage of an underwater light weight trommel fed with a 6" jet flare and suction nozzle ...The frame I would like to make out of aluminum and use in-line skate wheels as rollers .. I'm thinking of rotating PVC/ABS barrel with water pressure robbed from one of the pumps ... I'm trying to take as little overburden/ pay dirt to shore for processing the gold out at a later time ... I'm open to any suggestions in trying to accomplish getting the cons separated underwater with out the use of the sluice in conjunction with the suction nozzle in the processing of gravel ... In writing this thread I'm beginning to think all I really need is a shaker screen for the separation of the cons ... Any Ideas would be great to hear , Wes

LipCa
01-29-2013, 08:08 AM
why not just use that black, 4 inch corrigated drain pipe for your suction hose and "empty' it out once in a while? you know, the "poop tube" stuff.

overtheedge
01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
One thing to remember is water is viscous. We have all tried to run in a swimming pool and how did that work out? Moving anything under water has substantial power requirements compared to moving it in air.
eric

fineswme
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
LipCa , I like the way your thinking ... Have you or someone you know going about it that way ??? Is the corrugated pipe suction hose better coupled with a jet at the end sucking or pressure blown in at the nozzle pushing material through ???

Overtheedge , I'm with you on that ... Was thinking on a underwater shaker screen could possibly vibrate with a concrete vibrator with housing mounted up top on the float platform .. One thing for sure it will take much more power underwater ...

carter
01-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey, whats up Wes?
Are the wheels turning about running material without a sluice? If so, how about one of the fishing catarafts(the single person ones like in cabelas) for the frame/floats. Make a reverse helix tube out of big abs and use a expanded metal screen frame inside of the helix to classify. It might need to be above water on float tube.
Carter

LipCa
01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Never done it except as a "Poop tube". Gold has to ride at the bottom of the hose so it should hang up in the corrigations.

I'd just set it up like a normal dredge suction hose and see how it works.