View Full Version : New Use for your Black Sands

Steve Herschbach
01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
I was getting information on black sand magnets today and tripped over this website at http://ormuswater.vpinf.com

It claims that you can use black sands to impart healing properties to water. Once getting past this dubious claim I found some detailed information on the composition of naturally occurring black sands. The page at http://ormuswater.vpinf.com/magnetite-sand-1.html had most of what I found interesting.

I found the commentary on miners hoarding black sands painfully near the truth!

LipCa
01-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Blackands work great on roses too.

Geo2
01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
And decorating sidewalks :)

Marshall/Ak
01-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Looks like if you have a lot of black sand you could make a few bucks selling it on Ebay...even if there's no gold in it...

Reno Chris
01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
I know what you mean about hoarding, thought I don't do that. I process it and dump the black sand in my yard. I have had two friends give me their black sand - one because he did not want to bother with it and no longer had room to store it, and another where I was given it by his widow after he passed away. I got better than half an ounce from each of these and the volumes for both were around 2 gallons. I have another friend who, rather than toss out the tiny fines in his gold dumps them in a jar, and at the end of the season dumps the jars in a 5 gallon bucket. He has 2 buckets he has collected over the last 20 years and I'd guess he has a total of 10 ounces in those buckets, easy.

Just FYI, Ormus or Ormes (Orbitally Rearranged Monoatomic Elements) is a term used by modern alchemists, and means different things to different alchemy practitioners. Modern Alchemists have had no greater luck turning random stuff into gold than their predecessors did centuries ago. For more info, See http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/ORMUS

Steve Herschbach
01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
There is black sand and then there is black sand. There is no doubt many miners have substantial amounts of gold in their black sands. But there are just as many if not more that are convinced their near worthless black sands are worth a fortune.

I do not pay much attention to it unless I am moving enough volume to where it may really matter. This summer will be one of those times so I will use more care than normal. Bottom line though is we will process the cons in camp then dump the sand. Or give it to Dick so he has something to do in the winter!

fineswme
01-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Steve ,

Are you going to be placer mining this summer near Chicken ???

Steve Herschbach
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes. http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/alaska-gold-dredging-adventure-2013-part-1.htm

flyfishnv
01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
I will be back on the 40 mile this summer too. I will keep an eye peeled for you. Have fun.
Ron

flyfishnv
01-30-2013, 04:55 PM
As for black sand I have saved mine. When I am bored and have more I will try making a miller table. I thought about testing the MEOW effect in the cat box, but if she doesn't like it I don't want to have to sweep it up.
Ron

Reno Chris
01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
that are convinced their near worthless black sands are worth a fortune.

Very true. I've met a number of folks who think that by crushing, leaching or some other "special secret" process that somehow they can extract mysterious values in gold that otherwise cannot be seen or found. The cases I mentioned where I got some decent gold were situations where the miner processed his concentrates and rather than taking the time to extract the last bit of free, visible gold, he dumped the last of the cons into a container and saved them up. There was noting mysterious in what I was doing - I just did that final step of separating clean gold from last of the black sand.

tvanwho
02-03-2013, 07:20 AM
There is another angle to consider on black sands.. A local blacksmith club wanted our black sands from gold cons a few years ago. They used the black sands to make home made knives, from scratch, you might say. Heck black sands are iron, right? Maybe these types of clubs might actually pay for the iron in our black sands and sell the knives and such on Ebay. Heck, maybe some of us could learn how to do that and convert the black sands into cash that way? I met a guy in Arizona last fall who had a tiny foundry and machine shop in his garage and was making all homemade knives to sell at 30-100 bucks a piece.

-Tom V.

4theluvofgold
02-03-2013, 03:40 PM
It is worth saving and testing some sands. Many elude as tellurides. Whether they are worth working or not is the other question.

I did have a batch of black sands that were kind of light in color and it was Calaverite. The % was about 15% gold. Most of the time it is not even worth bothering. I didn't make much off the stuff other then learning.

Bill Bohan
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Important to note that only 6 to 8 percent of your concentrates are magnetic illmenite or magnetite. I found out that a large quantity of my conc. were composed of refractory gold or gold encased in sulfides which had a shelack of limonite rind on it.
Also important to note is that some sulfides upon a partial roast take on a polarization that let them be grabbed by a magnet......so you end up pulling out gold containing sulfides.

Also on a separate note : The USA would definitely gain momentum in the REE industry by buying the small time miners concentrates and just having the ability to refine them.

overtheedge
02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Also on a separate note : The USA would definitely gain momentum in the REE industry by buying the small time miners concentrates and just having the ability to refine them.

What a great idea. And right now, it would really kick-start the REE refining industry. Small varied lots to develop better refining techniques. Probably subcontract it out to Universities with a metallurgical dept.

Bill, it makes so much sense that it ain't gonna happen.
eric

Steve Herschbach
02-03-2013, 07:56 PM
It should go without saying that after proper separation concentrates should be assayed for values and retained if it makes economic sense to do so. Too many people are operating on wishful thinking rather than facts however. Trust me, at the retail end I get bombarded with get rich off black sand stuff.

Moore Creek had some serious potential with the concentrates. If I had ever mined there commercially I would have stockpiled the concentrates. If nothing else than for the high chromite content.

Bill, I have been places where the magnetic portion of the concentrate runs more like 90%. Franklin Creek in the 40 Mile was pretty insane for magnetite in the cocentrate.