View Full Version : The Next Big Play?

geowizard
01-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Two years ago, Alaska DNR/DGGS did a geophysical survey of the Ophir-Iditarod mining district. Last year, I met the principal Exploration Geologist for Kinross at McGrath. Three months later, they located 80 mining claims adjoining my claims at Ophir. Yesterday, Kinross located an additional 100 claims west of Ganes, surrounding the southern portion of the MHT lands and adjoining their prior claims. Their recent claims also surround several of the claim blocks I staked last year east and west of ganes on lode deposits.

Kinross has had declining grades at Fort Knox and is looking for a new play.

- Geowizard

flintgreasewood
01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Chuck,
Looks like you did what you did at the right time. Good work!

Bill Bohan
02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Chuck?
I have every intention of grabbing the Kinross exploration purse and making sure it will be used to open a mine 13 miles to the southeast of Chena Hotsprings.

Kurt there are only so many share holder dollars that go into exploration. Your Vault Creek is an awesome prospect and I'll be damned if I am gonna sit in a trench at O'Connor and watch a kinross copter heading to Ophir. A one way helicopter run out to Ophir would pay a days wage for a drill crew out on vault.

ps Got a new neighbor on Hattie ck.

geowizard
02-04-2013, 06:35 AM
All I do is report the news! :)

They staked 20 square miles last year. They just staked another 25 square miles! That's 45 square miles!

- Geowizard

geowizard
02-11-2013, 08:40 AM
The Ophir-Iditarod mining disrict is the third largest gold producer in Alaska. With declining grades at Fort Knox mine, Kinross is looking for a big Elephant to shoot! The Ophir-Iditarod mining district is "Elephant Country"!

Moore Creek doesn't need any introduction. I personally met KP and saw first-hand the 32 + ounce gold nugget he found at Moore Creek a couple of years ago. Ganes Creek doesn't need any introduction either. Many large nuggets are still being found there. The problem for most is these mines are no longer pay-to-mine operations. I recommend looking for claims for sale so you can own your own piece of ground. I have more claims than I can handle and I am liquidating some of my claims around Ganes Creek and other gold producing creeks near there.

- Geowizard

Bill Bohan
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Kinross can hunt big elephants southeast of Chena hot Springs. It is road and utilitity acccesable with permittiing and would be cheaper than the Tower Hills Livengood 80 mile reach. The Chena Hotsprings district even has prehistoric salt licks which were mined by the mastodon.

45 square miles of staking is a blind dart thrown on a map.

Every mine has a beginning , a peak and a finish. Sometimes Fantastic placer recovery may mean marginal load potential if the load deposit has weathered fully to placer.
Nixon and Donlin have bogged down why?
Not due to lack of gold but due to logistics compiled upon remoteness.

And also due to gold per volume of rock removed. If Tower Hills says they have an 8 million ounce reserve, they better follow up with how much of a volume of rock they are going to have to process to get that end result.

geowizard
02-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Bilbo,

Your points are well taken.

If you are right, then Kinross is looking for a salt lick at Chena Hot Springs and Tower Hills has accountants and a ceo that can't figure out strip ratios. These companies have a lot of smart people that work continually looking for the next big play. :)

Exploration companies establish a large property position before they commit resources to the task of exploration. There's a lot of calculation that goes into the probability of success. Ophir has met the preliminary pencil work that determines a high probability of successful exploration with a further probability of production.

- Geowizard

Bill Bohan
02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Where is this preliminary Ophiric pencil work of which you speak? And is it reality or realtor?

geowizard
02-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Billbo,

Exploration companies all have a process they use to "qualify" a given prospect area. Some of the factors are related to geologic setting, historic gold production, access to market, and a few dozen other criterion. When an exploration company decides to move on a prospect, their first order of business is to secure sufficient property to assure as much coverage of the potential mineralization as possible. Additional property may be secured to accommodate ancillary milling and processing facilities. Property is secured through filing original mining claims and through signing of lease-option agreeements with existing mining claimants.

Exploration companies usually don't publish the reasons for their exploration activities. They really aren't in the business of divulging exactly what their business activities are based upon. Decision making is usually done by exploration staff members including geologists, geophysicists and management. Their competitive edge is in keeping matters within view of those persons within their company having a need to know and not releasing information to others outside the company that might use that information to the disadvantage of the exploration company.

Mining property is real-estate. Properties are frequently leased with option to buy, sold outright, etc.

- Geowizard

geowizard
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Much of the Ophir-Iditarod mining district has massive amounts of magnetite mineralization. Gold is not often associated with magnetite. Explorationists often look in other directions.

A good example of a magnetite related gold project is located in Mexico.

Torex Gold Resources has published their NI 43-101 report:

http://www.torexgold.com/i/pdf/M3-Morelos-Resource-28-Jan-11.pdf

The deposit at El Limon (page 60) is typical of the types of deposit that host magnetite with gold.

This is of interest to placer miners that find abundant magnetite in their concentrates! :)

- Geowizard

tvanwho
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Is it expensive to file some claims in that area? I live 3500 miles away and its kinda difficult/expensive to make the trip, much less know what I am doing once i got out that way and I hate cold weather? My map dowsing likes a certain area near Ophir for gold and platinum. I'd like to have some claims on it for just in case? If I could just find a trustworthy local to go in with me on this? Sometimes long shots do pay off?

-Tom V.

geowizard
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
T,

I can certainly understand your plight. You can look at the DNR mapper application online and see where existing claims are located. Then go to the DNR recorder website and do a search to find out who owns the claims. The mapper application has a side bar with access to the LAS files for the township and range you are looking at. That also gives status of mining claims.

Let me know if you need more ideas.

- Geowizard