View Full Version : Replacing Pump Seal on Keene 4"

Jrreyboi
02-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Guys,
I shared with you that I recently bought 3 Keene dredges from a recently deceased prospector in Northern Nevada. There were a bit rough as they haden't been used for a couple of years but after cleaning them up they will absolutely be a good deal for me. I plan to keep the 4" but will likely sell the 3" and 2.5" Combo unit.

As I got the equipment back to Boise to start refurbing them, I'm having a hell of a time installing the new seal in the pump housing. Do any of you have suggestions for seating the new seal without damaging the seal itself? I totally destroyed a new seal yesterday as I was installing it with an 1-5/16" socket that set over the seal. I must have got it cock-eyed just enough to damage the plasitic washer on top. They say this should be able to be completed streamside but I'd have a hard time envisioning how to accomplish this? Maybe it's just me as a newbie?

In any event, any insight would be helpful,

JR

Brian Berkhahn
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
You were doing it (almost) correct.. just make sure the hole is good and cleaned out from all glue. You should put a bit of E6000 around the outside of the rim before you seat it into the hole.. this will insure no leaks.

It's a really simple process once you do it a couple times.

Jrreyboi
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Brian,
Do you take the spring assembly out before you set the new seal?

overtheedge
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I've had cases where seals, in machines other than pumps, needed me to put the seal in the freezer for a few hours to shrink it enough to seat easier.
eric

Brian Berkhahn
02-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Brian,
Do you take the spring assembly out before you set the new seal?

Definately not.. it's all one unit. Eric had a great idea.. put it in the freezer for a few hours then pound it in the hole. Personally I've never had a problem putting them in but that's a good idea.

The other half of the seal that goes into the impeller I found the easiest way to do it is use spit and it should slide in.

Steve Herschbach
02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I've installed hundreds of them over the years. You do have the back plate off and sitting flat I hope? As long as parts are clean the only real trick is just having it perfectly straight. Usually not a problem at all.

Jrreyboi
02-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys....let me ask, what do you use to seat the seal? Is the "seal placement" tool that Keene sells useful to have in your toolbox? I still have to think this is A bit difficult to do stream side?

49er Mike
02-20-2013, 05:49 AM
I am pretty sure we always used a short piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe to set the seals with.

49er Mike