View Full Version : Mining in hatcher pass?!?

Dredger
02-23-2013, 12:17 AM
I have an opportunity to get mining rights on 40 acres of land in the hatcher pass area. But I have some questions. Has anyone on here mined and have you/they been successful in that area? The person who currently has the mining rights is willing to sell the rights to me for a whopping 5,000... This summer he told me to take my dredge up there for however long and play.. On the 40 acres there is an old cabin.. Since it is state land would a person be able to fix up the cabin to make it live able or would it be frowned upon by the state??
Anyone?

geowizard
02-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Dredger,

I have mined at Hatcher Pass. When you ask about success (in a recreational context) the question is a matter of combined gold and fun. :) Hatcher pass involves a long hike to get to water. Hatcher Pass has more "eye balls" on it than any place I can think of. So, getting a dredge on or near water will be a project. You will want to be sure you are properly "permitted" to operate the dredge.

Cabins are owned by the SOA on State land and state mining claims. The cabin can only be occupied under an approved APMA. There are fact sheets on these subjects at the DNR mining website.

- Geowizard

Dredger
02-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Geo, I guess what I'm asking for is, has there been any known successful people who had mined that area with a large operation? When I say large I mean other than recreational. I know it will vary from one claim to another. I am not familiar with that area at all since I live down in Valdez.

geowizard
02-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Dredger,

I misunderstood. I don't know if you're the "big D" (Dredger) from the Alaska Gold Forum or not, you sound like you have more experience than I estimated from your original post. :)

Here are a few observations I have made; Although forums are great place for sharing advice and opinions, most commercial mining is done with little or no fanfare. Either a miner lost money and doesn't want to talk about it or he made money and doesn't want anyone to know about the big strike! So, it leaves the outsider that wants to become an insider lacking the only "real" information he or she needs in order to plan or forecast success or failure. That's not a good situation to be in.

My advice on mining property is to find your own piece of ground and prove it in or let it go. Buying mining claims involves up front risk for the buyer - if cash changes hands. The compromise is to lease with the option to buy. Because a lease involves minimal cost to the potential buyer, there's less risk up front. If the property looks feasible, then you may exercise the option to buy. Exercising the option buy is then based on your own due diligence in proving the property is worthy of further investment.

added:

Incidently, I did research a few months ago on Hatcher Pass. There is open ground on a tributary of Willow Creek with claims above and below the open area. The $55 for a 40 acre parcel represents a minimum investment. It would of course involve a round trip to do the requisite discovery and staking.

- Geowizard

Steve Herschbach
02-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Hatcher Pass is a hardrock district, and yes, there have been successful hard rock mines there. The placers are poor and hampered by boulders. Never been anything like truly successful placer mining there on a large scale. The only spot with anything like some production was Grubstake Gulch and Willow Creek immediately downstream of Grubstake Gulch.

Dredger
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Geo, this is the only forum that I am currently on. I havnt had much Expediance in the mining field. What I do know about it has been passed down. My family has has prospected and or mined for years. Way before my time. My father has and still does teach me. I have never worked a mine, only prospected. I have sampled claims for people I know with my proline 4 inch dredge. But due to the flooding last year I am needing to replace most of my equipment and tools.. Still have a dredge but I'm sure the engine pump and compressor is toast.

On another note I do know the claim is on a stream. The owner claims the ground is virgin and will produce. He showed me a vile of chunky gold mixed with some quartz. I know very little about the claim right now and on my next week off I will be making a trip back to his lodge to try and gather more info on its location..
Hopefully the vile of gold he showed me did come out of that ground..

Geo and Steve thanks for the info!!

Steve Herschbach
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
The first thought that goes through my head when people talk about "virgin mining claims" is why they have never been mined. The reasons are usually not good.

Dredger
02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
That's what I always wondered about.. But this summer I will be going up for about a week to mess around and see what comes out of the bag.