View Full Version : Power-sluicing

fineswme
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Many Questions:

Is there a production power-sluice available to match up with the 4" hydroforce nozzle?

On state land is there a permit needed to power-sluice outside the river/creek wet perimeter ?

Can two dredge pumps be run in a series (together) to supply water to higher elevations with lay-flat hose supplying water to second pump ?

Iis there a difference between a dry creek bed and a wet perimeter of a creek ?

Is it legal to eat away (process) the banks/perimeter of a dry creek?

Is it legal to work a wet or dry creek using a water nozzle (2") to erode ahead of a power sluice nozzle ?

Thanks for taking time to answer all my questions !!

fineswme
03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Steve wondering if you saw this or not ???

Simple (yes -no) would be great if haven't much time !!!

overtheedge
03-15-2013, 04:55 PM
"Can two dredge pumps be run in a series (together) to supply water to higher elevations with lay-flat hose supplying water to second pump ?"

I taught a pumps and water class up at AIFCC several years ago and can answer this one. We were running Pacific Mark III and Mark 26 pumps. Multi-stage high pressure (something like 150 psi) and could blow Wajax hose.

Yes, with a big caveat. The upper pump has to be throttled way back. Otherwise you collapse the hose from the lower pump output. There is a drawback to staging the pumps together, ie. output of one directly to intake of second. Increasing the velocity of water substantially increases the friction loss.

The preferred method is to dig a sump at the upper pump location and pump into it. Then pump from the sump to the appliance. We usually lined the sump with visqueen to hold water.

Remember that every foot you pump uphill is 1 foot less head (pressure @ 0.43 psi/foot). Usually you will get good water delivery to the upper pump if you place it no higher in elevation than 1/2-2/3 the maximum head of the lower pump.

If the pumps aren't matched in capacity, put the higher pressure pump at the lower location.

Hope this helps. The other questions need someone with more experience than me.
eric

fineswme
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
I was thinking about the sump but the missing link for me was to line it , Thanks Ote ....

Steve Herschbach
03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Many Questions:

Is there a production power-sluice available to match up with the 4" hydroforce nozzle? Not directly. You could modify a Proline Big Banker.

On state land is there a permit needed to power-sluice outside the river/creek wet perimeter ? Maybe. See below.

Can two dredge pumps be run in a series (together) to supply water to higher elevations with lay-flat hose supplying water to second pump ? Never done it. See above.

Iis there a difference between a dry creek bed and a wet perimeter of a creek ? Yes.

Is it legal to eat away (process) the banks/perimeter of a dry creek? If properly permitted.

Is it legal to work a wet or dry creek using a water nozzle (2") to erode ahead of a power sluice nozzle ? If properly permitted.

Thanks for taking time to answer all my questions !!

Generally Allowed Uses on State Land http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/gen_allow_use.pdf

Recreational gold panning; hard-rock mineral prospecting or mining using light portable field equipment, such as a hand-operated pick, shovel, pan, earth auger, or a backpack power drill or auger; or suction dredging using a suction dredge with a nozzle intake of six inches or less, powered by an engine of 18 horsepower or less, and pumping no more than 30,000 gallons of water per day. An authorization is required from ADF&G-Habitat prior to dredging in fish bearing streams.

Actually, ANY dredging requires a permit, now from Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Dozers, excavators = permitting. Simply ask DNR when in doubt.

Miners Guide http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ak/aktest/minerals/minerals_pdfs.Par.14567.File.dat/miners_guide_12-09.pdf

Small Dredge and Highbanker Permit DEC

http://www.dec.state.ak.us/Applications/Water/WaterPermitSearch/Detail.aspx?id=9733&v=1

fineswme
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Is there anyone here that can help answer these questions more thoroughly ???

I have seriously tried to read the Regs. and have come up with 00 answers ....

1) On state land is there a permit needed to Power-sluice/Boom a "dry creek" with no discharge going into active stream ?

2) Is it legal to work a "dry creek" using a water nozzle (2") to erode ahead of a power sluice nozzle again with no discharge going into active stream ???

Steve Herschbach
03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
The permits are for discharges into creeks, rivers, and streams.

If you want to delve into technicalities I suggest you go the the source and contact DNR.