View Full Version : Plastic barrel Raft/Barge for Tools/Cabin

fineswme
03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I know this may sound funny !!!

Would it be legal to put on a river -- lets say a "tool shed" on a plastic barrel barge for Tool and Dredge platform / Living quarters ???

Maybe on a trailer during a flooding ...

I actually saw some nice ones on the net today...

ManVSgold
03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Sounds to me like youd be fine to do that.I would check with the state or borough though.Im sure they are looking to find a way to charge you for something.If it has a motor it may need to be tagged.

polardds
03-17-2013, 07:37 PM
The state will make you move it if it is blocking a navigable waterway. Sounds like a craft of that size would have to be on a navigable waterway.

overtheedge
03-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Why not a boat? Say a 14'-16' flat-bottom with a tent. With a motor, you have a houseboat, uh er tentboat. And now you have some serious mobility too.

Even in navigable waters, I think the 14 days and then you gotta move rule exists, unless you are on a claim.
eric

geowizard
03-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Last time I checked, powered boats had to be registered. I think it's $15.00.

Depending on your objective... An inflatable might work for getting up and down a river and a Bass boat might work for pulling a dredge in slower river systems. The issue becomes a matter of river current and making headway with certain floating powered platforms. A floating platform in the form of a barrel raft could be powered or towed with a powered boat in a slow moving river i.e. the Yukon or Kuskokwim rivers.

There are not many mining opportunities on larger rivers. Smaller rivers are generally faster moving. There are many perils involved that await the uninitiated. As with every adventure - it goes without saying that you need to know the water way. From personal experience, Alaska isn't a place to test your novice mariner abilities. :)

- Geowizard