View Full Version : Earthquakes Turn Water Into Gold

ManVSgold
03-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Heres an article that might interest some of you

Earthquakes Turn Water Into Gold - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/earthquakes-turn-water-gold-180356174.html)

overtheedge
03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
"It's like pulling the lid off a pressure cooker: The water inside the void instantly vaporizes, flashing to steam and forcing silica, which forms the mineral quartz, and gold out of the fluids and onto nearby surfaces, suggest Weatherley and co-author Richard Henley, of the Australian National University in Canberra." Copyright 2013 LiveScience, a TechMediaNetwork company.

Not buying it at all. Did this even go under peer review? Oh and let's not forget that little tidbit about "could build a mine-able deposit in 100,000 years". Not by the mechanism in the article. Think about it, 1 nanoparticle per 1,000,000 nanoparticles in each pulse/injection/inoculation/infection. Oh and just where did these folks come up with 1ppm of gold? I could believe 10ppt.

I suspect the authors of this supposed study are students.

eric

geowizard
03-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Ote,

My 5th grade science teacher entertained the WHOLE class with the classroom project of extracting GOLD from seawater.

Fun stuff - but fantasy. :)

I would add, that given the element of "time", just like all geological processes, 100,000 years is a short span. The black smokers and other sub-sea events are working to deposit minerals continually.

- Geowizard