View Full Version : Headwaters

fineswme
04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
The simplest solution I have found to finding good ground to prospect:

Having little time/money to invest into prospecting to try finding a productive river/creek it makes sense to go where others are producing ...

Understanding how the modern placer miner operates , they need a fair bit of gold bearing gravels to justify setting up and operating their equipment ... This opens the door to a whole different type of prospecting/mining using high-bankers and suction dredges with 1 and 2 man teams ....

Looking at the Mapper you can find so many existing claim blocks , you can research who in these areas is actively mining and there you have your answer as to the areas that are worth putting "Boots on the ground" ....

In the headwaters of most of these Gold producing creeks/rivers are areas left unclaimed because it just isn't feasible for the larger operations to set up on ... In the areas where it is with-in the claim blocks, many of the placer miners are negotiable in letting you work those areas for a % ....

geowizard
04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
fineswme,

You have found one of the doors!

Gold mining is an adventure game. As you ask questions and learn, additional doors will open. Some of those doors lead to dead ends. Some of the doors enter into a dangerous realm and some of the doors will provide entry into a large room full of opportunity.

It is a fun adventure! :)

- Geowizard

fineswme
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Geo, for you I'm sure it's a "game" you have made it perfectly clear ( not that it is bad ) .... For others it is a way to "Survive" in a Pursuit of Happiness ....

fineswme
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Maybe you would like to include some of the youth I spoke of in today's thread "throwing it out there"...

You seem to have many skills/attributes/assets that could be shared with this next generation ....

Bill Bohan
04-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Mr. Fine,
The creek does not necessarily define the deposit. Many of the older federal claims are long and thin. Overlapping with a big 160 block or a traditional 40 acre block can give a speculator some choice ground on either side of the senior claim holder.

if gold thins out in the head waters a couple of things might be happening
1. The water table is too shallow for a mondo dredge to draft. So the pay was left in place.
2. You have passed the gold contributing load such as a vein or vein plex in the creek and there is no gold in the upper reaches.
3. Where the contours level out and are not steep is where the gravel has accumulated. Water velocities are split or anastamosed. This allows for gravity accumulation of metals
4. The headwaters were not stake due to a different rock type such as a granite being a contributing factor to a placer, however the gold is on a micron mesh size and can only be recovered by milling and chemical processes. .....not affordable to a small time miner

fineswme
04-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Bill , that was a great piece of info .... Never even occurred to me to stake along the sides of an existing river basin claim ... Makes perfectly good sense if they weren't thorough in their sampling and staking procedure .. Thanks for that one .... By the way when do you intend on going into your claims this year ??? When I go up to FBKS this season to see family and friends may take the boys I'm taking up this year on a small kine sight seeing and of course Chena hot springs is beautiful place to see ... May look you up and have coffee depending when and if you'll be around ... Best of luck to you this year .... Wes