View Full Version : fiberglass boats

riffraft
07-21-2010, 05:07 PM
ok folks, first of all thank you for your time. I'll be retiring to Alaska, I love salt water fishing, I also have a fiberglass boat (23' pro-line walk around) Am I out of my mind bringing this with me? the wife says you all use metal boats and fiberglass is just no good in Alaska waters. thank you all and happy fishing!

Steve Herschbach
07-22-2010, 06:56 AM
You will see plenty of fiberglass boats on the saltwater in Alaska. See the Seward, Alaska Small Boat Harbor Webcam (http://www.majormarine.com/webcam/).

I assume your boat has a Bimini soft top. You may want to consider having it modified with what we would call a camper extension that would fully enclose the pilot and passenger seats. No matter what kind of boat, being able to get in out of the weather is important in Alaska.

riffraft
07-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Thank you Steve. I have a hard top on this boat and can inclose the cockpit. It is a great boat with a 200 hp merc, gps, radar, etc. I just want to make sure I'm not over stepping the safety factor.

Nick Olzenak
07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Steve is right, Aluminum boats do work well here in Alaska however there are still just as many fiberglass boats. The Pro Line 230 is a good design for offshore fishing, as Steve mentioned and it sounds like you have, an enclosed area to stay out of the weather is a must. I was just out in the Prince William Sound over the weekend in a 20 footer with a soft top in pretty crumby weather, we were dry, safe, and catching fish!

Stop in and say hello to us once you make it to Alaska!

riffraft
08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
thanks for the reply Nick, glad you were catching fish, was out today in Rockland Hbr (Maine) and the fishing here just sucks, I glad someone is catching fishing. 411